Anyone have a 1971 Carlton Catalogue?

Rustyretro

Devout Dirtbag
Hi, I'm looking for a Carlton catalogue from 1971/2 with the Carlton Competition in. I've just picked an old frame up in white and blue and I'd like to keep it as original as possible.
Thanks

Wasn't the Competition a frame only? We certainly sold them as frames in the 70's, not in blue though.

I guess it's Lagoon blue :) pic would be nice though.

Shaun

Here's the best photo I have at the moment. I can get a better one when I'm back home, but this should give you an idea. I've seen almost identical frames on the internet with Raleigh Decals on, but this has the original Carlton headbadge.

Attachments

• photo low res.JPG
    photo low res.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 14,063
Yes I have.Will sort out when i get home today.

Right .It shows the "Team Professional" model.1971 cat.As a full bike.

The 1969/70 shows the Competition as a frame set only.

Please as if would would like a copy.

bagpuss":2ludqu3r said:
Yes I have.Will sort out when i get home today.

Right .It shows the "Team Professional" model.1971 cat.As a full bike.

The 1969/70 shows the Competition as a frame set only.

Please as if would would like a copy.

I'd love a copy please.

I've sent a PM.

Thanks very much.

Re:

The 1971 Carlton Competition had the same parts as a Gransport (or Peugeot PX-10), just with maes bars and tubular rims and tires. The tubulars were either AVA "washer" rims (no eyelets - raw aluminum) or NISI evian "washer" rims (as found on my 1973 competition). If you can find mavic washer rims then get them & relabel them as mavic bought AVA. I make the paper diamond labels. The PX-10/Competition specs were:

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalo ... atalog.pdf

- simplex prestige plastic geartrain (black delrin ~ red label rear mech)
- normandy comp hubs
- stronglight 93 crankset 52/42
- GB stem and raleigh (long-reach) maes bars (not randonneur bars)
- Brooks B-17 saddle
- Atom 440 pedals or 700 pedals
- Atom/Maillard 14-24 5-speed freewheel
- Brooks toe clips or Christophe toe clips & straps (Christophe or Lapize)
- white ribbed cables. white herringbone plastic tape. milremo star bar plugs (~ crap get something else)
- Weinmann 610 brakeset with special QR drilled levers with lima-bean sized holes.
- Likely tires are hutchinson tubs or maybe raleigh nylon extra (get panaracer practice tires ~ modern equiv)

The main differences between PX-10 and Competition were saddle (Ideale vs. Brooks), brakes (Mafac vs. Weinmann) and the Normandy/Maillard/Atom QRs on (light delrin black plastic vs heavy ATOM nuts).

Most of the parts can be scavanged very cheaply from a Raleigh Grand Prix or Super Course of the same era - just need to change the wheels and the crankset and get some lightweight atom pedals (or similar).

Re:

Wow - that's a very detailed spec. I built it up somewhat differently to that. Thanks for taking the time to put the information together.

Back