Brake levers - V or Canti ??

shutter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi, how do I tell if a brake lever will work with cantilever brakes? Here are a couple if NOS sets I picked up today... I know that the deore xt ones are for V... What about the others?

Side note... The green ones have no markings... Any idea what make they are? Look to be good quality...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 354
Measure the distance from the main pivot to the place where the cable ends. On a canti brake they will be around 25mm (or less) apart, on a V brake lever it should be 30+mm

Aaaaah... Very cool... Soo, if there are two spots for the cable end or an adjustment for that spot then it will work on both?

Thanks!

The green ones are tektro, or rockwerks depending on how they were packaged. dont let it put you off em tho, theyre light and look fab, oh, and theyre for use with canti's - currently using some on my trimble with a rear U and front controltechs.

RBG

Think your question has been answered already, but...

Xt levers look like M739, so will be for v-brake.
Both sets of Avid levers should work with either (thanks to the Speed Dial adjuster), although I've only ever used them with V's.
The green levers look like canti levers to me.

Thanks!! I appreciate the help! =)

I'm picking up two more sets of levers this morning so I will try out the measuring method then post here for clarification

Here's the other two sets... Look like they will both work on either v or canti =)

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 263
Back