Caygill Custom Columbus

Re: Retro Refit: Columbus MAX OR custom fillet brazed MTB...

Yep baby blue with one white decal down the down tube. Also need to find a new columbus decal.

Heres some details of the frame

Rear end is quite scruffy:
DSCF3588.jpg

fair bit of bare metal around th eback of the BB
DSCF3587.jpg

The BB is closed - no openings to the tubes (same with headtube)
DSCF3590.jpg

Cooper approves
DSCF3581.jpg

Toying with the idea of removing the rack mounts
DSCF3577.jpg

Not seen this before- the driveside chainstay is reinforced into the BB shell
DSCF3583.jpg

I have a pair of early short legged p2's that would look nice on there, they could do with a lick of paint though. What size steerer do you need?

I need at least 170mm. I have got one set to try but on the look out for others too. The longer the steerer the better really. Oh and it needs to be thread less steerer...

Cheers! Also on the lookout for some old 7 speed lx sti....
Get paid tomorrow so I'll be booking the powder coaters. I just need to decide wether to remove the rack mounts.

jinjrich":wn65o0tm said:
Get paid tomorrow so I'll be booking the powder coaters. I just need to decide wether to remove the rack mounts.

Leave them! They don't do any harm, plus you might well need them one day....

Love the detail in this frame like the rear brake hanger and the fully fillet brazed BB shell.

Yeah I love the rear hanger. I was contemplating v brakes but I reckon that little feature is too nice not to use! I'm going to keep the rack mounts- it'll be quicker to get it powder coated and like you say may be useful down the line.

Not much to report on this, the parts have been cleaned up are ready to go back on the frame, just trying to raise funds for the powder coat....

Still no powdercoating done, But i have cleaned off most of the crud with degreaser to reveal the frame in better nick than i thought. The worst area is around the rear canti mounts, but even this appears to be on the surface. Also discovered the drop outs are reynolds, which is nice!

DSCF3630.jpg

DSCF3629.jpg

DSCF3626.jpg

DSCF3627.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3633.jpg

I had a panic for a momment as the dislexia part of my mind saw the builder as authur scargill

Back