Square taper, grease or not!!!!

We_are_Stevo":2pvb6kft said:
Neil":2pvb6kft said:
Listen you guys, if you're gonna bump, you gotta sing the words.

Everybody sings, everybody dances - else I'm out with the boomstick and picturing people in crosshairs. Capiche?

Talk is cheap...
Heavy.gif
Hey, I've seen those pictures of you from BITD, don't try telling me the thought of having a sing and a dance to Grease is below you, big boy.

Make with the words and movements.

Woz, you were right! It was indeed epic! Maybe even cathartic? Who could have known?

Some 23 pages worth, irritation, profanity, whose got the biggest pecker swagger, insults, anger, liberal amounts of mindless drivel, references to greased Nazis, inuendo, and tripe, all rounding out with comments about immagining people in crosshairs. Wow. It appears the combatants have spent themselves.

A parting question for the female readers of this excess. The fairer sex didn't seem to get drawn into this. Why? The reality of who cares? Boys being boys? Testosterone fueled middle aged rants? Group psychosis? Fodder for Monty Python?

Neil":1fvjxjo7 said:
We_are_Stevo":1fvjxjo7 said:
Neil":1fvjxjo7 said:
Listen you guys, if you're gonna bump, you gotta sing the words.

Everybody sings, everybody dances - else I'm out with the boomstick and picturing people in crosshairs. Capiche?

Talk is cheap...
Heavy.gif
Hey, I've seen those pictures of you from BITD, don't try telling me the thought of having a sing and a dance to Grease is below you, big boy.

Make with the words and movements.

"This car is hyyyyyyyyyydromatic..." :cool:

gdb2b":1ryakynd said:
Woz, you were right! It was indeed epic! Maybe even cathartic? Who could have known?

Some 23 pages worth, irritation, profanity, whose got the biggest pecker swagger, insults, anger, liberal amounts of mindless drivel, references to greased Nazis, inuendo, and tripe, all rounding out with comments about immagining people in crosshairs. Wow. It appears the combatants have spent themselves.
I'm not hearing or seeing any singing or dancing from you, mood-killer. Make with the words and the hips or the budgie gets it.
gdb2b":1ryakynd said:
A parting question for the female readers of this excess. The fairer sex didn't seem to get drawn into this. Why? The reality of who cares? Boys being boys? Testosterone fueled middle aged rants? Group psychosis? Fodder for Monty Python?
They've clearly got more sense, and are more mature, cigar-smoking Mrs Robinsons.

How about a compromise?
The tapers will stay dry. Both camps will assemble bone dry tapers. :eek: ... and both camps will grease the inside of the crank aperture. :p
Fair innit?

gdb2b":1jn2cln6 said:

They're in the other thread talking about getting the correct length and if the shaft width really matters and if they can notice. They already know a good lubed setup works better.

As it happens this exact question came up during my Cytech 2 training recently.
We were told, by the best, most experienced mechanic/tutor I've ever met to not use any sort of grease, but use a light oil.
The reason for this is that you shouldn't lubricate something that's not designed to move, which is what grease will do as it works under pressure,
However oil doesn't work under pressure and will sort of move out of the way, thereby only assisting installation, but not cause problems later.
So, there you go. :)

Peterpoddy":3vun6o0f said:
As it happens this exact question came up during my Cytech 2 training recently.
We were told, by the best, most experienced mechanic/tutor I've ever met to not use any sort of grease, but use a light oil.
The reason for this is that you shouldn't lubricate something that's not designed to move, which is what grease will do as it works under pressure,
However oil doesn't work under pressure and will sort of move out of the way, thereby only assisting installation, but not cause problems later.
So, there you go. :)
That of course depends on the grease involved.
The greases mentioned way back in posts, drop to their 'oil' property under pressure (i.e. the surfactants stop doing their thickening) and then the anti-sieze/corrosion etc parts that are in them bind to the surfaces stopping nasty things happening.

do what the manufacturer says whatever way you normally swing.

gdb2b":25ovozlr said:

:LOL: :LOL:

Epic is one thing, but can this be drawn out to become historic? According to Wikipedia, they mention Holy Wars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_bra ... red_cranks and could this be the thread to end em all?

So here is some/more unsubstantiated dross to take seriously. It should be obvious that there is a clear demographic of greasers. The manufactures at the cutting edge of this wondrous technology seem to be born in the USA. Anglophone and Interweb supremacy led this greasing concept to be introduced in the UK; where traditionally all cyclists are still fond of the B17 Brooks saddles. However, many cyclists are also mechanical savvy and they grease tapers like they would grease a headset cup - interference or clearance or press or friction fit it doesn't matter especially when armed with rudimentary tools such as a hammer, long spanner and mug of tea.

The greasing concept was introduced in Japan via joint development initiatives; namely Shimano having a bunch of American racers helping, testing and generally thrashing mountain bikes about in mountains around the late 80s and 90s. Shimano eventually decided to market Octalink to kill the square taper because it was too good and they couldn't patent it.

Whilst in Southern Europe, most people were busy eating pan aux chocalates and enjoying oiling salads rather than square tapers. Backtracking a good few decades prior to the 90s, a chap from Vicenza, Italy unfortunately mis-read some Da Vinci manuscripts after a few Chiantis too many at lunch break and simply went ahead just sticking the crank onto a taper and bolting it up thinking it was similar to the assembly of a door handle. This knowledge of dry assembly became the unquestionable norm and got passed down to generations of cyclists, and eventually spread with global economies and easier migration due to cheaper air travel. Campagnolo took a strategic side step in 2006 and introduced Ultra-Torque to effectively end their square taper legacy.

For the sake of a complete study, it would be interesting to know how people in remote Polynesian islands or Siberia assemble a chain-set.

If the BBC World could run this topic on "Hardtalk" in various languages, I am reasonably certain all middle aged men across the globe would be riveted to the cathode ray tube and football viewing ratings would plummet. From good authority I've learned that Hollywood are making a movie about this where John Travolta is going to have the star role as a robot bike mechanic in North Korea in 2045, where he basically starts a greasing movement to save the earth.

Back