Heli-tape .. Who doesn't ??

Plus one

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
While heli-taping my newly built kona I realised "Every" secondhand bike/frame I have acquired has had no heli-tape/frame patches on them resulting in paint removal/surface rust etc :cry:

Maybe it's just me I wince when I see a friends bike or some other lovely looking machine on or off road without some form of frame protection.. I mean it keeps it looking good increases resale value so
I can't see why you wouldn't :?:

So come on hands up who doesn't bother :LOL:

I don't either.

It's not going to stop the stones, rocks hitting it, trees you lean it against, the upside down bike repair, the pedals in the spokes or against the frame, the top of a hill drop the bike on the floor or general 5 bikes+ placed on top of it. I guess you have pipe lagging on all your tubes as well?

I don't - first bike I put it on is Ibis since it is white paint so paint damage is more likely to be noticeable.

Must just be me then :LOL:

Don't get me wrong bikes are to be used and abused and battle scars are like badges of honour !!

It's just some of them could be avoided :D

FluffyChicken":33o1tusp said:
I don't either.

It's not going to stop the stones, rocks hitting it, trees you lean it against, the upside down bike repair, the pedals in the spokes or against the frame, the top of a hill drop the bike on the floor or general 5 bikes+ placed on top of it. I guess you have pipe lagging on all your tubes as well?

I'll give you stones and rocks hitting it, that's just mountainbiking and gives the bike character, but all the other things you said are easily avoidable. I use heletape in cable rub areas but nowhere else. I don't cover the whole underside of the down tube in the stuff as some people do.

Confession time. I have no idea WHAT helitape is. I've always assumed some derivation of heli-copter, but never figured out how/why associated with bikes.

Me. But then again none of my frames are painted - Ti doesn't need that sort of pampering ;-)

Me.

Well, I did put some helitape on the Kirk, but sold it pretty quickly afterwards. I only seemed to use it in cable-rub areas anyway. (oh and on the crank arms... black crank arms... arrgghh!!)

I don't think I'd want my bikes paint to last forever, let it get some wear & tear, and when it looks tatty it's the bikes way of telling you it's due a respray :LOL:

Back