Unparalleled stiffness.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Just been reading for fork specs on the lower end Canyon bikes range.

Pop a tapered steerer on there and its 'UNPARALLELED STIFFNESS!!' Or a bolt trough and its 'UNPARALLELED STIFFNESS!!'
The only stiffness in getting is the one in my neck :x

I doubt any of their cheap forks are as stiff as the higher end and even then due to the sus fork design must all suffer from the legs trying to move opposite directions :?

Yup i know its just sales bumf but i do wish they'd quit portraying something as being something its not.

They'll be writing 'PRO' on them next

Rant over
( and my Manitou has PRO written on it :oops: :LOL: ]

dyna-ti":2nlxkc92 said:

Pop a tapered steerer on there and its 'UNPARALLELED STIFFNESS!!

That's the reason tapered steerers are used on roadbikes too, increased stiffness. But won't that just make for a harsher ride as road bikes don't have sus? Maybe they compensate by increasing the flex in the fork blades :LOL: :roll: :facepalm:

JamesM":3lkt1e2g said:
dyna-ti":3lkt1e2g said:

Pop a tapered steerer on there and its 'UNPARALLELED STIFFNESS!!

That's the reason tapered steerers are used on roadbikes too, increased stiffness. But won't that just make for a harsher ride as road bikes don't have sus? Maybe they compensate by increasing the flex in the fork blades :LOL: :roll: :facepalm:

I think they get round that by using carbon which takes the edge of the shocks / vibration. When I was looking at road bikes, very few had aluminium forks. My Allez has carbon forks and a tapered steerer ad it's not too bad....until you hit an expansion joint.

With regards to MTB's I've ridden a few 1.5 bikes and can't say that I thought they were an stiffer. They do make for a stronger frame though because there is more weld / contact area.

The one thing that does make a difference is bolt brought axles.

But a carbon fork with more flex at the base of the steerer would absorb even more shock surely. Also quite a few of the carbon forks you see on road bikes have aluminium steerers.

Back