Martin Wood - Time Trial Bike

Ralph_the_Rohan

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I've just purchased a 1975 Emperor Time Trial Frame and Forks, which at some time in it's life has had a respray and Woodrup stickers. I intend to build it up in an Alf Engers style with pics to follow once built.

On the crossbar it bears the name of, I assume, a previous owner "Martin Wood". I know it's a long shot but does anyone know Martin? I'd love to find out a bit more info on the frame or even some pics in a previous build up.

A quick search on Google does bring up a Martin Wood who occasionally marshals at Velo Club Cumbria events but, again, I know it's a long shot that they are the same person as my frame's previous owner.

Here's hoping,

Steve.

Look forward to the Alf Engers Stylee :) break out the black and decker for 1975 LOL

I'll have a think about Martin Wood

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, anything you may come up with would be great.

As far as the Alf Engers homage goes, so far, in addition to the frame and forks, I have a Huret Jubilee Rear Mech, a Campagnolo Record Pista Crankset with 54 tooth Drillium Chainring, Drillium Campagnolo two bolt Seatpost, Weinmann 500 Brake Calipers, Weinmann Brake Levers and Campagnolo Large Flange Record Hubs with Mavic MA2 rims.

Steve.

Would love to see the drilled seat post :)

Just out of curiosity how old are you, I am 53 so lived through the Alf Engers period :D

Shuan

Shaun,

Funnily enough I'm also 53. Must admit though, that I knew nothing of Alf while growing up. It's only in recent years I've come to appreciate his achievements and bikes.

The seat post I obtained via EBay from the son of one of the last owners of the MKM Cycles Firm. It's been drilled back in the day to within an inch of it's life and still has a cork in the bottom to prevent water entering the Seat Tube. It's probably too dangerous to use on a regular basis, but it's definately going on! I'll post some pics when I get time.

Steve.

Hi steve

Here is me in the mid 70's ........bit fuzzy but note the drilled out seat pillar. Blocked up at the bottom with a cork and a plug of candle wax poured down one of the holes. Weight of cork plus wax more than the aluminium removed. Looking forward to the pics :)

Shaun

15dqsnq.jpg

Hi Steve.

I've had my Emperor Sport Road/TT frame from new (1979)

Would be interested to see some pics of yours too, as there don't seem to be may mentioned anywhere!

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• empsport79.jpg
    empsport79.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 625
My memory isn't like it used to be but I think Kevin Sayles worked for a while at Emperor Sport...... Here is a couple of pics of my Kevin Sayles built Bob Jackson frame. Hand on heart one of the nicest frames I have come across, not fancy at that time just crisp and clean with OCD attention to detail:) I think he was still a teenager....

viewtopic.php?t=171189

Shaun

Latest posts

Back