Delta V 700 - Done (I damn well hope so anyway)

Re: Delta V 700 - First ride.

Like that, its a 19'' frame so how tall are you? Im always confused by diffrent manufactures sizes etc.

Re: Delta V 700 - First ride.

I'm 5'9 but have short legs and a long body. Fits me great, good standover with the delta frame. Was a bit long with original 150mm stem, feels much better with the current one (120mm I think).

Re: Delta V 700 - New forks

Looks great now, ironically I really fancy another one now! :(

TC

Re: Delta V 700 - New forks and now old forks that work!

Another update on the original fork saga - they're fixed!!!

Was riding with OCP, a fellow retrodale fan earlier this month and he mentioned that a long time mechanic at Edinburgh Bike Co-op knew about older headshoks and they still had the tools to strip the cartridge out. Was down in Edinburgh on Wednesday for a training course so I popped in and spoke to one of the mechanics. He found the tool but said they wouldn't work on it but if I knew what to do I could use the tool for a small fee. He spoke to another mechanic to find out how much and it turned out to be the guy who knew about the forks. He took the cartridge out for me and I swapped the knackered elastomer for the new spring kit and he put the fork back together again for me, in return for some biscuits (although I threw in a case of beer as well). That chain of stores gets a bit of slagging sometimes but the guys I dealt with were really helpful and my 20 year old forks are back on the road again.

This however has led to me spending even more money on my budget build. I'd seen a set of Coda cantilevers on eBay along with the matching force 40 cable hangers, but the fatty forks I'd bought didn't have the mounting point needed. With the old forks working again I had no excuse not to buy them, so they're on their way. This means I have to remove the STI units in place at the moment and replace them with canti brake levers and 7 speed XT thumbshifters utilising the secret eighth click. Trouble is the gear cables won't reach from the bottom of the bars to the top so I'm going to have to re-do all the cabling. I also may as well redo the brake cabling so the v's and canti's have a dedicated set up making it easier to swap in the future.
After all this, bloody eBay start sending me matching listings and I've been tempted by a polished set of Coda cranks from the states. Exactly the same as what I had fitted not long ago but polished not anodised. I've also bought a 100mm 25° stem, as even with the 120mm I still felt right over the front of the bike. Hopefully the seller can fit it into the same fixed price overseas envelope to save me postage.
Also, the nobby nics I had lying about when I built the bike have gone and have been replaced with Ritchey Z-maxs. Look madly skinny ( especially next to the fat bike, 1.9 vs 4.8!) but suitably retro.

One last dilemma. I love the XT seatpost but it I've had it since new (1990) and the finish is pretty worn. You'd be too after 23 years and many different frames. I have a modern Cannondale one that I took of my Flash 29er when I put the carbon Save post on, and it looks brand new, but will it look too out of place?

I've exaclty the same problem as you have... You Always want more ! :p
I've started with an Alpinestars cromega DX 92. I was so happy with it ! Great bike ! But when the bike is ok, you want another one ! And with eBay it's so easy to find EVERYTHING !!! :shock:
After that I absolutely wanted one of the best bike I've ever had... A Delta V ! Actually, the Delta V 1500 was my first "real" competition bike. It was a beast !! :cool: and now I've bought an immaculate 93 Delta V 1000... On ebay :mrgreen:
After that, I've bought a full original 88 Raleigh Maverick and today, my last project is to make my 97 Manitou HT come back to life.

So, yes it seems it's the same for everybody... You Always want more :mrgreen:
Just on advise : keep going ! Your Delta V is lovely :shock:

Here is pic of my Delta V 1000 :D

Attachments

• rps20130316_072455_475.jpg
    rps20130316_072455_475.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,221

Nice delta vee , I need one of them

Clubby , that's rubbish mate :)

mikee":s6iqjb41 said:
Nice delta vee , I need one of them

Clubby , that's rubbish mate :)

I know, the lawns a mess ;)

Re: Delta V 700 - Done?

Bloody Royal Mail, £11.65 to pay at the post office for my parcel from the states. No import duty as it was below threshold, but a foreign post handling charge - robbing barstewards, only cost £17 to get it here from the states. Thanks god the seller fitted the chainset and stem in one parcel. Worth it though, the polished cranks look great even if there were missing one chainring bolt on the inner ring.

DSCF2077 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

Brakes were a nightmare! Strangest designed canti's I've ever seen, I just couldn't figure out how all the springs and washers went together. Found the old manual online for the force 40 hangers, but nothing about the brakes themselves. Finally figured out that the spring doesn't mount in the frame, but in a spacer thats tightened against the frame boss. This spacer then adjusts with a cone spanner to alter the return tension. The force 40 hangers took a bit of back and forward on the straddle length to get right but certainly add power now they're right. Brake block were a total pain to get right and I'm still not convinced to back is aligned very well. Just going to run them in a bit and hopefully they'll wear themselves flush.

DSCF2079 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

DSCF2081 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

Also bought a pair of Coda wheel QR's, you can just see them in the last photo above. Z-max tyres (2.1 my arse) look suitable retro even with the black sidewalls. Happier with the position of the new stem. Shorter length and extra rise make it feel less like I'm going over the bars at any moment. Can't imagine how ety935rs feels, going by his photo a couple of replies up!
As mentioned before, the shift from V's to canti's meant a change of levers. Gone are the STI levers, replaced by XT thumbs and brake levers which I've had since new in 1991. Did see a pair of nice Coda branded Dia Compe brake levers on eBay in the states, but they went for crazy money in the end. Did a search on here and found a pair for sale a month back but they've long since gone. Only had to replace the front brake outer, all the others were long enough to work with the new set up.

Original forks look great and now work properly so that's me pretty happy with everything. Might still work on adding more Coda parts if I can find them in the UK. Some nice NOS parts in the states but you've to add £17 for their postage plus the £11 charge from Royal Mail. Only other thing I can see changing are the shifters. Gear shifting not bad, considering I'm using the extra click of the 7 speed levers to run an 8 speed block but will need a bit of fiddling with cable tension once I've got a proper ride in them. I'll see how it goes for now, but if I see 8 speed XT pods come up I might just get them.

Last thing is the seatpost, still unsure about it. It does look a bit tatty, but the new logo on the Cannondale one I have doesn't match and might look odd. Thomson have had the same design forever so thats an option, or indeed a good old Syncros. Is a bike ever done????????

DSCF2076 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

DSCF2080 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

DSCF2078 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

Re: Delta V 700 - Done?

Straighten yer seat man! Seatpost is letting the build down an aw!

Cranks are really nice, were they the same as would have been specced originally? And the brakes sound similar to the Suntour SE (self energizers) - I think they had a similar arrangement, cone spanner adjustment and no little pin that goes through the wee holes in the boss.

Back