The "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" discussion thread

I dont think this thread will work, its been up a few days and already rambled off in its own direction.

Yes I do realise the irony of this thread wandering still further off topic.

Personally I fail to see any real issue with people asking the value of items, we havn't really been flooded wioth requests.

[rant] When I was first selling my Z-links , I was a little confused as i could not just open it for offers. This left me with the problem of finding out what they were worth.

I asked at the time how i should find this value out, (normally i would have used ebay /other past sales to see what they had gone for and price accordingly. But with a rare item this isnt possible.) "I was told to make a how much is it worth " thread...whcih I then did... only to have the utterly useless (and some what typical of the time) answer back saying "its only worth what some one is prepared to pay".... well geee thanks for the pearl of wisdom!

At the end of the process I still had zero idea of what to post the price as in my sales thread. [/rant]

[rant=2] The thing that i find more probelmatic in the sales forum is the endless lists of people selling items individually instead of grouping the sales. I know its a guidline and not a rule but I personally feel the forum would be easier to browse and use if people grouped their sales items.

Also people creating new posts selling things that they already have posted. It just leads to a mass of posts pushing other posts off the front page.
[/rant=2]

wow no idea where i had been locking those two up!

Feel free to delete this post as it really is only adding to what ive just been complaining about . :)

I am quite happy with people asking what is my bike worth , but I would like to see it in a special section .

Like all technical issues .

I find too many posts in the retro Chat and often I cant be bothered to read half of them . and I must miss plenty of good things .

My $.02 -

I hate what's it worth threads. Because more often than not, the thread could be re-titled, "am I sitting on a goldmine?" Its really simple: what's your bike worth to you? If its worth X to one person and Y to another, does that help at all?

If you can figure out how to register and post on Retrobike, then you can figure out how to post it on ebay at $.99 and let it ride. The Bay is the most visible form of classifieds available. If you're not "sure whether I want to sell it," put up a reserve at which how much you feel you it'd be worth it to you to let it go.

"am I sitting on a goldmine?"

Spot on Mike... most of these 'questions' are basically people hoping that the piece of old junk they thought was worthless is actually collectable to us lot of sad old b*stards..

As for Rare parts like the Z-links, a bit trickier I guess and I think an e-bay listing with a reserve if you really aren't sure but don't want them to go for peanuts, is the best way...

it would also help if people who want to know a value of a certain item first check the past ebay auctions and do a search in the classifieds here. it's very easy to do and in many cases a similar item has been offered or sold recently. that doesn't mean that the item in consideration will fetch the same or more but it's a good guideline.

Carsten

There is an element of the Antiques Road Show about it though.
"So what are these old cranks I found in the loft worth"
"Aaah well they are quite common M-730s. But fortunatly for you they are Black. Quite rare and collectable. An fanatical looney would probably pay you a bazillion bucks at auction."

There is no consistency, no 'market value'.

Whats your bike worth?.. Ask yourself what you would pay for it.

Back