Frankenbike - Magnesium Weight Weenie budget build

Re: Frankenbike 2 - magnesium Weight Weenie build

Not being funny or anything but....

are your forks on backwards? Strange looking design.

EDIT. I'm an idiot, of course they are correct as the rotor is on the correct side.

Fatal Swan":yh3bkomc said:
I've done a couple of similar projects - weight weenie on a shoestring. The last few grams always end up costing the most! M751 cranks are a good choice and the matching ES71 BB is also lightweight. M752 are a tad lighter and have a nicer shape IMHO than the 751. Weight-wise you can get similar results from an M570 with a UN7x BB.

A couple of other recommendations for £/g savings. Grips-wise, these £4/25g foam ones from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25g-Ultra-Lig ... 1087520199. If you have a standard-ish size seatpost size, these are £17 and ultralight: http://www.cyclomonster.com/cart/gub-li ... -post.html.

For wheels, I'd avoid Shimano hubs for weight-saving, and if Mavic-rimmed go for 517s if possible. I've got hold of a couple of sets of 1st Gen Mavic Crossmaxes SUP (one set 1546g, the other 1596g), but in decent condition they fetch a lot. Also the 1st Gen Mavic Crossrides are pretty light. I found that cheaper second-hand options are Rolf - 'Propels' about 1600g and 'Dolomites' about 1750g ('Satellites' are heavier though).

Tyres? The reason I ended up at this thread - Exeter Man pointed out you might be interested in my Maxxis 330s currently for sale: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=247660. [Though they are now sold, and I also realised I'd already sold you some Schwalbe Furious Freds a few weeks ago!]

Thanks for the tips and the nod from Exeter Man regarding the tyres. You're right I did have some Freds off you recently but those went to a friend so am looking for some more now unless I can work my beer persuasion again to get them back ! lol. I have some time this weekend so I'll see what turns up on Ebay etc and have exactly those grips and seatpost in my watch list already :cool: although not heard of GUB and am a little wary of too cheap and too light perhaps ? Also I was wondering if some XT HT2 cranks would be better as have a spare BB for them kicking about but the M751 cranks only cost me a few beers so in the spirit of grams per £ will be hard to beat and am looking to put the money towards some good wheels as so far I'm safely under budget so could be stretch for something interesting. I have had some Crossmax SL in the past (and now have some SLRs on my Scalpel) and really like them but those tend to be closer to the £200 mark usually.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

letmetalktomark":9dnn3mge said:
Its a disease this WW thing I tell thee .....
I never i a million, squillion years did I think I would buy digital scales to weigh bike parts :facepalm:

At least your scales are rather more manly than my flowery ones Mark ! :LOL:

That is a very light saddle, is it even remotely possible to sit on it ? I found my backside is definitely not Flite compatable these days after trying one out a while ago so was planning on something like a Charge Spoon with Ti rails as I find these comfortable and reasonably light.

Done a bit of shopping lately and after a few more "ones that got away" finally managed to bag some decent (hopefully!) wheels in budget. Bontrager Race X Lite's which are apparently around the 1600g mark and are tubeless ready but I will be running with some Conti Supersonic tubes at 96g each and after a minor amount of bartering I got the Furious Freds back which are 324 and 314g for the pair. So should make a nice light set of wheels and also have some Superstar hollow Ti skewers which are a feathery 43g for the pair - bit dubious about how tough these are !

I'd be interested to hear of experiences on the Conti Supersonic tubes. I've been running Ritchey lightweight and Geax Ultralight (£2.60 from Wiggle!) tubes which are both around 140g. Quite fancy the idea of shaving 70-80g of rotating weight but have never got around to it because I suspect that it might be one weight weenie step too far in terms of reliability. From what I've read the most reliable tubes around the 100g mark seem to be the Schwalbe XXLights, so I might give these a go. They're £6 each plus £5 postage from Bikediscount.de so a bit cheaper than the supersonics too if I go for a few.

The Supersonic tubes do feel very thin but I used them previously on my first SS build up with some Panaracer XC Pro's and didn't have any issues - although it was trails rather than anything seriously offroad. Not sure if the Freds plus the Supersonics are going to be too fragile though as there's not much carcass on those Freds to protect the thin tubes.

For the brakes the wheels dictate discs so hope to track down something lightish but cheap in the hydraulic category - any suggestions ? My Scalpel has Avid Juicy Ultimates on it which I really like but another set of those would blow the budget I expect. I have some G3CS rotors spare which are pretty light and work well. A set of superlight rotors from KCNC / Quaxxar etc in 160 / 140 size is the final plan but again this depends on the budget as these run to about £20 each.

Pretty hard to figure out weight weenie hydraulics on a budget, as the weights are not consistently measured - some with rotors, some without bolts, adapters etc. Something like a set of Formula Oros would be light(ish), and can be had for sensible money on the 'Bay. There are obviously lighter options, but the costs start ramping up.

Another idea which tweaks my interest would be Avid BB7 mechanical callipers combined with lightweight levers and cables. No idea how the weight would compare to something like Oros, but interesting none-the-less.

Regards

I can sort of answer that question as just weighed my front Avid Juicy Ultimate in at 202g for lever with clamp and bolts, hose and caliper and an older silver BB7 caliper, SD7 lever and similar length of cable at 306g. Thats without the caliper mounting bolts and PM/IS adapter. The SD7 levers are 95g each so not the lightest levers - definitely best looking though - so that could be improved on but the caliper is a fairly hefty thing on its own. Might keep a look out for some Oro's then.

Interesting stuff. I've got a couple of hydraulics lying around, so thought I'd throw them on the kitchen scales. Same parts as you weighed, including pads:

Avid Elixir 3 rear: 275g
Avid Elixir R front: 240g

The hoses on both are a bit on the long side, so they could be made a bit less.

Regards

Back