TI Raleigh 531

I was looking to recreate the picture below (complete with wonky brake :LOL: )

I suppost the fact that my frame doesn't have any braze ons means that it is better suited to the earlier version with the cable clips.

Took me 3 attempts to get the bar tape on as it kept unravelling as soon as I rode it :x. Therefore I'm sticking with it for the time being :D

Colin.

Attachments

• 1976.jpg
    1976.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,271
  • 1982.jpg
    1982.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,271
Took me 3 attempts to get the bar tape on as it kept unravelling as soon as I rode it

You are not alone... I gave up on Benotto bar tape after one attempt, back in whatever year it was when it was the new thing... No offence to any enthusiasts, but TBH, personally I would just as soon wrap my bars in used bin liners... :)

Thanks for the list, Midlife. I too remember the 3-day week and power cuts, but for me that was a few years before I got into this racing bicycle thing.. The other two questions in my post are not rhetorical BTW... i.e. if anyone knows...? Hope it's not derailing your thread Bedraggled to ask them here..

Benotto bar tape was on the market from 1980. I enjoyed it very much then. And was able to swap a retro trainings yersey and winter cap for some sets look-a-likes a short time ago. Marvelous. :D Although I did provide my bike with cloth Tressostar.

Wow, that's a co-incidence, I've just got some Velox cloth tape and tomorrow I was going to change it over (to give it a more 70's look).

Ive just done my Europa in the same yellow benotto style tape (off ebay, comes with chrome style plugs instead of benotto caps). I found putting it in hot water first helped with the fitting, stretching it as it went on. Its stayed very tight after, and I gave it some hammer yesterday on way home from work with no problems :)

Re:

bedraggled":1kb9bg1n said:
The build stalled over the summer but yesterday I finally got it all built up so thought I would post a couple of pics.
Today I took it for a gentle ride around the estate, after making a couple of adjustments everything seemed to work ok - well nothing fell off :LOL:

Overall very pleased.

That looks awesome mate! Looks just like mine.....but more valuable :LOL:

Lovely bike - really getting a soft spot for the Ti Raleighs
Couldn't help noticing the miss-matched brake levers. The right one is an earlier long-lever Record one (by memory last long lever version was pre-7:cool: and the left one is the shorter later Nuovo Record one.

dadoflam":2basssm9 said:
Lovely bike - really getting a soft spot for the Ti Raleighs
Couldn't help noticing the miss-matched brake levers. The right one is an earlier long-lever Record one (by memory last long lever version was pre-7:cool: and the left one is the shorter later Nuovo Record one.
Well that explains the wonky levers :LOL: (they still worked, which is the main thing).
I don't have it any more, wish I'd kept it.
Although I've posted pictures on lots of other threads just noticed I never posted a picture of the final incarnation on this thread, time to put that right.
Would have looked a lot better with a new saddle :facepalm:

Attachments

• 6423.jpg
    6423.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 849
Re:

What a beautiful bike - and all original!
Would this frame be similar to my Raleigh Pro Mk V?

Hi bedraggled,

Good looking Raleigh. Did you ever find a frame number?

Sometimes the Nottingham made frames had the number at the top of the seat tube on the back side of the main triangle. I have seen a 1997 Carlton Cobra with the frame number in this location.

Latest posts

Back