Which cranks for a Fat build?

Tom79

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
On the lookout for a new chainset for my Fat Chance build...thinking I should go Cooks, Syncros or just stick to the universal Shimano...but seen some very nice Middleburn's knocking about and I am partial.

What are people's thoughts on keeping USA made components on a USA made frame, or British on British for example? Can't say I've ever worried about it but would be good to get some ideas.

The Buck Shaver is (or rather is in the process of being) a cobalt blue so want silver finishing kit. A mate reckons I should keep Middleburn's for a British build (got a P7 waiting in the wings) but I dunno really.

Any recommendations?

Anything, who cares where it comes from... Well unless it retro Canadian goods ;)

It's just a Fat so stick shimano/su tour on it, or pick the crank you like the look of and some nice rings.

I went through this a couple of years back, so this thread might give you an insight in to the thoughts of some on here, regarding mix/match USA/UK:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145770&hilit

In the end, I decided on Ringlé rather than GoldTec, so my answer would be to stick with USA on a USA.

Having said that, it depends what age your FAT is. If it's an older one, Specialized cranks can look great / in-fitting, and are a break from the average Grafton etc...

Cheers,
BB.

Back