mods please remove change of plans

Re: 97 proflex 857

Nice bike :) No idea about the seatpost, any markings on it at all?? from the profile of it I'd say it might be a roadie seatpost? :?

I think the paint looks fine in the pics, and keeping the upper swingarm black helps it to blend into the background, so you notice the carbon lowers more :cool:
I agree with you on those wheels though, some Spins would suit the oddball looks of the bike I reckon :)
What about getting some more carbon on the bike? ie seatpost, bars, maybe some carbon Girvin Crosslink Pro forks? (check the 857 in my signature for some carbon ideas ;) ).

Use search option for proflex 857's and see if some of the other owners have replaced the post or ask em..pretty sure a lot of them would

well took the old gal for a first ride today and back shock is shot :( peeing oil every where so if anyone has anything suitable for sale let me know ;)

on the upside rasta racelines will be started using my home anodise kit :mrgreen: will start putting some pics up soon :LOL:

You should be able to get the sjock rebuilt here... http://www.mickgardnerracing.com/motorbikes.html.. for around the £30 mark, they have done them in the past.

Risse Racing (USA) do a nice range of shocks if you were thinking of upgrading, here... http://www.risseracing.com/proflex.shtml, they do occasionally come up for sale used on eBay Uk, so keep an eye out for them.

Noleen J6 still do the OEM shocks as fas as I know, here... http://shop.noleenj6.com/category.s...6B559060FD4837DA8C0.qscstrfrnt06?categoryId=7.

You could try and get an adapter made up to let you run a more modern air-shock (I've PM'd you regarding this ;) ), seen a few different variations, the one I had worked well and used a Fox Float shock.

Used Noleen shocks do come up on eBay and on here now & then as well, so that's another option.

Replacing the rear shock seems to be the biggest bugbear on these old Proflex bikes, on older models the elastomers disintegrate, and on later models the shocks become tired and break down, things aren't helped by the design that Proflex used ie conical mount at the bottom/bolt through at the top as no modern shocks will fit the frame without an adapter being fabricated.
I found that a modern air-shock and air forks transformed my Proflex into an (almost) modern short travel XC machine. If you're not bothered about "period correct" etc then it's well worth looking into if you intend to keep the bike.

thanks for the info mate i will look into it might replace rear shock but cant do away with the girvins there just iconic to proflex got an lts might sell the flex and trasnsfer all parts to the lts.saw an lts with girvins and spins that looked well just dont know what to do as money is so tight :(

been to a small company today to have some of these made. so i can run a fox shock will be having edges rounded to get a better look stay tuned will update sooon :LOL:

Attachments

• DSC07415.jpg
    DSC07415.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 469

Good work! If you get a small batch of those adapters made up I'm sure there will be enough people biting your hand off to get one, and a few more Proflex's will be kept going for years to come :)

jimo746":39z62ux3 said:
Good work! If you get a small batch of those adapters made up I'm sure there will be enough people biting your hand off to get one, and a few more Proflex's will be kept going for years to come :)
will put some pics on when done for anyone interested will be rounded slightly too so the look a little better :cool:

Back