Rock Shox Judy SL - Help !

The only thing that keeps them in is the bolt or the lower rods the bolt screws in to. Nothing else does or can if the stanchions move fine.

Turn the bolt out more and keep hitting them in till the lowers are freed.

The dust seals you are showing only scrape against the stanchion and cannot hold them in.

As for what you are seeing, the legs are extending until they are hitting the top out bumpers, which are part of the lower rods.

Just reread your post again, you undid the small 3mm or so Allen bolt, that's the damper adjuster. You're now going to have to repair it.

FluffyChicken, what does repairing the damper entail?

I don't think they have ever been serviced so probably best i overhaul everything anyway, unless i have just written them off?

Many thanks

Dan

You need to get oil in it and air out of it.

There are quite a few threads on Judy servicing and also on the cartridge servicing. See what you can find via the search. There is also a '97 cartridge service guide in the Archive along with a fair bit of other RockShox info. Most of them are similar to that, but yours are a year older. Can be fidly, but not too hard.

Get them apart first and see if the lower stanchions are in good condition and what the condition of the cartridge is, but screw that tiny bolt back in first, but not tight.

Yeah that's it.

I have managed to get the forks apart now, i had to separate the legs, after doing this one of them came off very easily but the other was little stuck due to a build up of the disinterested elastomer. This has also caused some pitting to the inner tubes, i have cleaned it up and i don't think it will be too bad once re-greased.

Everything else seems in good shape however i am concerned to see that in your link above the cartridge body (3) is separate to the fork! Mine is firmly attached to the lowers/outter leg.

I don't think i will be using these in my build so i think it maybe time to put them up for 'spares - repairs'

Thanks

Dan

I'm always after cheap spares :)

The Damper is in one stanchion, 'dummy' in the other. There is a circlip holding them in, take that out and bobs your uncle. probably.

I'd say it'll work but really its shot and likely the bushing it sits around has gone as well.
The difference between one even half that damage makes the fork rough compared to the silky smooth action it should have. It usually happens with water getting in.
Still the rods, other leg and no doubt the steerer and bolts will be good.

There will be a plastic tube in one leg, this is the outer part of the damper, unless you've just not put it in the picture.

Back