1997 Nuke Proof Reactor hardtail

gis_guru

Devout Dirtbag
I just bought a Nuke Proof Reactor off of eBay and I am in the process of rebuilding it. Needless to say it is a unique setup up front. I have completed most o the tear down and i am in the process of gathering parts and planning the restoration. I have most of it nailed down but I was wondering if anyone had an specifics on the over-sized bearings they used in the headset. I can take them to a local bearing manufacturer once I pull them but I was hoping to have an idea before going in. On the plus side the build seems to be falling together.
the eBay Gods have provided me with some NOS and nearly new XTR front and XT rear derailleurs and a very pretty set of the Nuke Proof ti hubs with Mavic x517 rims. Tokoloshe had a set of XTR V's sitting around so I snagged those. With any luck it will be ride-able by the summer.

Attachments

• NukeProof_Reactor1.JPG
    NukeProof_Reactor1.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 3,303
  • NukeProof_Reactor2.JPG
    NukeProof_Reactor2.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 3,303
  • NukeProof_Reactor3.JPG
    NukeProof_Reactor3.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 3,303
  • NukeProof_Reactor4.JPG
    NukeProof_Reactor4.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,301
  • NukeProof_Reactor5.JPG
    NukeProof_Reactor5.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 3,301
  • NukeProof_Reactor6.JPG
    NukeProof_Reactor6.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 3,301
  • NukeProof_Reactor7.JPG
    NukeProof_Reactor7.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 3,301
  • NukeProof_Reactor8.JPG
    NukeProof_Reactor8.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 3,301
Re: 1997 Nukeprof Reactor hardtail

So glad a member here picked this frameset up and will share the build with us.

I really like the originality of this design.

hi
i am so glad someone on here bought this.
i almost pulled the trigger on this several times.
went back and forth to it for days.
will be watching for sure.
very cool.
roy

Thanks. I was torn as well but in the end I couldn't let it get away. There is definitely wear and tear and the Nuke Proof paint job left much to be desired but a gent in the Netherlands that owns a few Nukes turned me onto a guy that may have the proper decals. Might go a little more true red on the repaint as opposed what it is now but that is a few weeks off at least. the plan is powder coat for a base decals and clear over top. I pretty excited about this build.

Some of the parts I have managed to gather for the Reactor.

Attachments

• nuke_seat.jpg
    nuke_seat.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3,057
  • nuke_shifter.JPG
    nuke_shifter.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 3,057
  • nuke_wheels.JPG
    nuke_wheels.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 3,057
  • nuke_rear.jpg
    nuke_rear.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 3,057
  • nuke_front.JPG
    nuke_front.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 3,057
  • nuke_levers.jpg
    nuke_levers.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 3,057

The frame, fork legs and stem are off to the shop for a fresh coat of Red Baron red powdercoat and Gil_m was kind enough to send a set of decals across the puddle to me. I have apparently found the one shop left in the world that can service Rock Shox Deluxe shocks and it should be returned to me in near new condition 3-4 weeks from now! If anyone is interested the shop is http://hippietechsuspension.com/ and he can rebuild any of the older Rhock Shoxs that may be floating around out there. He is a one man shop so it may not be a super quick turnaround so plan accordingly.

I also just realized that I misspelled Nuke Proof in the title of the thread and now feel like a dunce.

A few pictures post-powder and post-decals. The colors look odd but that is the light in the room. I hope to get some out doors when it is a bit nicer out side. The color is more of a true red as opposed to the Original with was more of a brick red. Thanks again to Gil_m, the decals are spot on. All the parts have shipped and I am waiting on chainrings for the Profile crank I bought for it to figure out the proper bottom bracket dimensions.

Attachments

• NP_decals2.JPG
    NP_decals2.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,882
  • NP_decals1a.JPG
    NP_decals1a.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 2,882
  • NP_decals1.JPG
    NP_decals1.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 2,882
  • NP_predecals2.JPG
    NP_predecals2.JPG