Nishiki Cresta GT

everest30

Dirt Disciple
Current stage of my Nishiki Cresta GT build...

DSC03038-1.jpg

Looking to to do the Way of The Roses Sustrans route on it in June..

Unconventional, but for the distance I will be putting Cross Top Brakes and oversize bars. New cantis on their way to enable me to stop. Dont worry though... Conventional quill and dia compe cantis will be replaced after.

ARAYA 27 x 1.25 wheels, Suntour Alpha 5000 series Rear Mech, Front Mech and Sugino Alpha 5000 Cycloid Chainset. Currently Technomic Quill, with Vesta Sealed Headset.

Frame is Tange 2 with Tange forks. New Continental BLACK tyre on order.

QR seat post has gone in lieu of a allen key bolt. How many time do you need to change the height of your seat ?

All original with only scratches to the frame.

My only concern was that the Nishiki has Miche hubs with suntour block. Not sure if I can convert the 5 speed miche hub to a 7 speed shimano ? Hub already stripped, re-greased etc. Ive never seen anything like it before.

Don't know about the 5-speed Suntour to 7 speed Shimano conversion but you might get a 7 speed no-name block on there if there's room. Nice looking bike, that, have you got any further with it? If it's a tourer (it has the braze-ons), presumably it came with mudguards? Look forward to seeing a few more pictures, seems a bit unusual, particularly the 27" wheels.

Bit embarrassed but this is what it looked like when i piked it up..

NishikiOriginal.jpg

Note mudguards, 3 sets of bottle cage mounts, canti brakes.

The Mountain Bike bars and gears have gone, downtube shifters going back on with drop bars. Just sourced a front pannier rack.

Ran out of money this month :( got to wait till next month for the tyres and front rack.

About 10 years ago I had a Nishiki Cresta GT. I think it was just a little newer than yours though because it was a 6 speed with biopace chainrings. I still kick myself over that bike. I didn't even sell it, I gave it away. What I wouldn't give for the gold anodized 27" wheelset that was on it! I just rebuilt a 1988 Panasonic PT-3500 which is a pretty nice Japanese tourer, but I still miss that Cresta GT. Good luck with the rebuild, I'd say you've got a great starting point especially with that uber-long quill that screams moustache bar with bar-end shifters (but that's just me). As far as converting to 7 speed from a 5 I'm guessing that your OLD is 120mm and you're going to have to spread your rear dropouts otherwise you'll have to have a wheel built with a crazy dish to fit the freewheel cluster in there. Don't take my word for it though, listen to Sheldon:

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

IMHO, I'd skip converting to 7 speed because:
1) 126mm OLD wheels built for thread-on freewheels (most 6 and 7 speeds) have a long section of axle in between the outer locknut and the bearing set making them prone to bending (yes I have bent them).
2) You'll most likely have to spread your chainstays from 120 to 126mm and cold set your rear dropouts so why not go an extra 2mm on each side and make it so you can put a modern 8 or 9 speed road freehub which will probably be cheaper and better, and most definitely easier to find than a good, low mileage 7 speed setup.
3) What's wrong with the 5 speed? What's especially weird/bad about your old gear cluster? I know old Suntour thread-on freewheels, especially those that require the two prong removal tool are a little delicate to remove but as far as I know it's possible to replace them with a Shimano cluster. Also, Interloc racing (I don't work for them) sells brand new 5 speed clusters for like $60 if yours is all buggered up and you can't find a nice old one for a good price.

Anyway, good luck. Hope I helped a bit
alfredk

alfredk":2dm77hqa said:
About 10 years ago I had a Nishiki Cresta GT. I think it was just a little newer than yours though because it was a 6 speed with biopace chainrings. I still kick myself over that bike. I didn't even sell it, I gave it away. What I wouldn't give for the gold anodized 27" wheelset that was on it! I just rebuilt a 1988 Panasonic PT-3500 which is a pretty nice Japanese tourer, but I still miss that Cresta GT. Good luck with the rebuild, I'd say you've got a great starting point especially with that uber-long quill that screams moustache bar with bar-end shifters (but that's just me). As far as converting to 7 speed from a 5 I'm guessing that your OLD is 120mm and you're going to have to spread your rear dropouts otherwise you'll have to have a wheel built with a crazy dish to fit the freewheel cluster in there. Don't take my word for it though, listen to Sheldon:

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

IMHO, I'd skip converting to 7 speed because:
1) 126mm OLD wheels built for thread-on freewheels (most 6 and 7 speeds) have a long section of axle in between the outer locknut and the bearing set making them prone to bending (yes I have bent them).
2) You'll most likely have to spread your chainstays from 120 to 126mm and cold set your rear dropouts so why not go an extra 2mm on each side and make it so you can put a modern 8 or 9 speed road freehub which will probably be cheaper and better, and most definitely easier to find than a good, low mileage 7 speed setup.
3) What's wrong with the 5 speed? What's especially weird/bad about your old gear cluster? I know old Suntour thread-on freewheels, especially those that require the two prong removal tool are a little delicate to remove but as far as I know it's possible to replace them with a Shimano cluster. Also, Interloc racing (I don't work for them) sells brand new 5 speed clusters for like $60 if yours is all buggered up and you can't find a nice old one for a good price.

Anyway, good luck. Hope I helped a bit
alfredk

I'm 50/50. It had no shifters except the MTB ones..so I managed to get a set of suntour Accushift 7 speed downtube shifters, hence going for 7 speed. I never had index on my first bikes so......I don't really need index (I know when its not in gear :) )

Bearings shot inthe 5 speed. I've ordered replacements to TRY the 5 speed before converting but ideally 21 speed is my preference.

I can't get Interlock Freewheel because they won't ship outside US :(

My fast road bike is 8 speed Campag (now obsolete) and new bikes are 9 or 10 speed. I ride a lot and this setup is great on a 54/48 chainset for 20-30 miles but I'd never get up the hills on a 12/23 rear Sprocket hence the Nishiki with canti brakes, bosses for panniers etc.

7 speed just worked for me in my own mind....I remember riding 5 speed and not enough gears. When I switched to 7 speed in the 80's it was just right. 8/9/10 speed is wasted on most riders and coupled with a triple front ring they dont know where they are most of the time.

This is where I am at the moment...

Nishika1.jpg

<sic> I can't get Interlock Freewheel because they won't ship outside US :( </sic>

Well that's pretty lame of them. Sorry for the misdirection, didn't realize.

<sic> 7 speed just worked for me in my own mind. </sic>

Fair enough. The Panasonic I've been riding is 6 speed friction and I'm totally happy. If you like 7 speeds who am I to criticize? I'd love to hear how the frame spreading works for you if you decide to do it. Once again, best of luck.
alfredk

Back