Seat post shimming - bad idea on RSP ti frame?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I am currently building an RSP ti frame and had it all planned. Hints of blue here and there with black seat post and stem. I'm in a quandary now as I may be having a change of direction, leaning towards Brit finishing kit, possibly silver but when it comes to seat posts, the x- lite posts will need shimming from 25.4 to 30.0. Is shimming a good idea on such a frame (Torus essentially) as I have seen a few threads on here showing cracks around the seat post weld?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks

What length shim Ian?......shouldn't be a problem if it runs past top tube/stay junction like a normal post would......

I'm using a shim on my RSP and never gave it a second thought. If you are a heavier rider and/or have a lot of post showing then it might be a bad idea. I have about 170mm of post showing so there's about the same length inside the frame and the USE shim is 100mm long, plus I'm only 10st so I'm not expecting my frame to snap any time soon (touches wood).

I've not got the shim yet (or post as it goes). I'm a svelte 13 stone (all muscle naturally) and not sure how much post will be visible out of the frame but expect around 180mm tops.

Anyone recommend a source of long shims?

I've not got the shim yet (or post as it goes). I'm a svelte 13 stone (all muscle naturally) and not sure how much post will be visible out of the frame but expect around 180mm tops.

Anyone recommend a source of long shims?

I think use is the way to go, though its an x-lite post and not the same diameter as a use post to my knowledge.

Back