Muddy Fox Newbie - Finally Finished Fiddling with thanks.

Re: Be gentle with me! Muddyfox newbie

Mods? West mids unless the wiggins factor is in play!

Out again today. Return trip to Spoonley Roman Villa. On the way back I took a fence!

Attachments

• spoonley end web forum.jpg
    spoonley end web forum.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 417

The current pedals are awful. Feet keep slipping off when working hard and you least need it. Hopefully the DMR V8s will be better. Got some new pins and a can of paint to match the forks. Also noticed the original 15+ year old tyre is looking a bit suspect with canvas lines showing on the sidewalls so will be replaced with a nano raptor 2.2 I picked up cheap. Also Mavic stickers for rims. That should be it for the timebeing unless anybody can give advice as to what else should be changed for safety of aesthetics?

Another thing - is it ok to mark the seat post with a line for my height for road and off-road settings? or has anybody got any ideas how to get it the same each time as I lower it once i reach the off road bits.

Will post another pic when pedals and tyre are on.

a wee touch of permanent marker should do the trick on your seatpost

Thanks for that. Pedals came today and are sprayed (from purple) and fitted as is new rear tyre. Waiting for pedal pins as a few missing. Will post another pic when I'm happy with it. Next challenge is Cleeve Common, the highest point in the Cotswolds. Worked out an 8m circular route from home so another 6 mile ride on Saturday then try for monday weather permitting. I must say this is all good fun and feeling better for it! I know distances aren't great but have you seen the hills round here? :)

The Cleeve Hill challenge was on for today. After about a mile I hit the first problem - corndean lane, 1 in 5 in parts so needless to say, nice day for a walk with a bike on your arm! Eventually made it to the top, past Hillbarn farm and onto a really nice bridleway that runs across to Brockhampton. Turned right at Wontleys farm(abandoned) and headed uphill again towards the Cleeve common. Disaster. The bridleway had been ploughed ready for planting so despite my best efforts I sank without trace. After pushing the bike the wheels began to lock due to the amount of mud stuck to them so although walking got a great workout. On reaching the common I stopped and cleaned up the bike in a ditch full of water (lucky find)

Made it across the common to the highest point without too much bother as it flattens out on top. The tyres performed surprisingly well considering the conditions and my ineptitude.

See the pic for the final version of the bike - not had to change much - seat,(for comfort) tyres and tubes,(perished) pedals,(old ones useless) and fork stickers. Other than that and stripping and cleaning it it's pretty much as found. On the whole I'm very pleased and impressed with it.

This message is sponsored by Ibuprofen

Attachments

• Very Muddy Fox.JPG
    Very Muddy Fox.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 354
  • final version.JPG
    final version.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 354
  • i can see my house from here.JPG
    i can see my house from here.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 354

Ah WTB Speed-V, good saddles those, you'll find that once you start putting on the miles and you harden up that it will be too soft, then you'll be able to move on to something like a Rocket-V or Charge Spoon, that's what happened to me anyway.

Carl.

Still got the original specialized body geometry racing saddle hence the change! Maybe one day I'll be 'hard' enough for it. :)

Long seatpost! Makes sure enough is in the frame. Looking good though.

Back