my seiko monster watch...

Had an older Seiko automatic serviced somewhere, place was recommended elsewhere and fairly reasonable. If you have no joy and need them can dig the details out.

:shock: mines just died... :? going to a local guy today..let you know..

Ernie :?

Attachments

• monster.jpg
    monster.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 196
Neil":2x7g2n3s said:
gibbleking":2x7g2n3s said:
it just died on me......aaararrrrggghhhh

the second hand stops going round after a few minutes.....
first time ive ever had an automatic go wrong .... :(
Orange Monster?

Maybe you could have it serviced - although often the just replace the movement. With some places it's fixed price.

7S26s are normally pretty robust - not necessarily the last word in accuracy, but normally pretty bombproof.

My stainless Seiko 5 seems fine these days; I got it from TH Baker's in Walsall back in 2007, not long after it needed a service as I dropped it on the bathroom floor (numpty!!) which sent it a bit haywire, but other than some Sundays when it doesn't get wound properly 'cause I'm out on the bike all day and wearing a cheapo digital watch instead, it keeps excellent time.

David

gibbleking":flhu4pgi said:
i had another message this morning,,they have offered to do it for 68 spuds all in as a sign of good faith......
Bite their hand off at that price.

David B":2gvrpsdd said:
Neil":2gvrpsdd said:
gibbleking":2gvrpsdd said:
it just died on me......aaararrrrggghhhh

the second hand stops going round after a few minutes.....
first time ive ever had an automatic go wrong .... :(
Orange Monster?

Maybe you could have it serviced - although often the just replace the movement. With some places it's fixed price.

7S26s are normally pretty robust - not necessarily the last word in accuracy, but normally pretty bombproof.

My stainless Seiko 5 seems fine these days; I got it from TH Baker's in Walsall back in 2007, not long after it needed a service as I dropped it on the bathroom floor (numpty!!) which sent it a bit haywire, but other than some Sundays when it doesn't get wound properly 'cause I'm out on the bike all day and wearing a cheapo digital watch instead, it keeps excellent time.

David
Some probably are reasonably accurate out of the box - and they can always be adjusted - but I very much suspect that's a dying art, and does need a very steady hand.

If yours keeps good time, you've got a good 'un - I know this thread now had 2 failures - but in general, they're pretty damned robust.

i may just put the thing on ebay and get a classic one thats a few years older...i do have this as my emergancy back up watch..

Attachments

• IMG_20130314_125833.jpg
    IMG_20130314_125833.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 123
just got mine fixed..this is how the watch tech explained what happened.. ""hairspring got caught on a moving part the moves 6 times a second..you must have banged that watch when the movement was moving out..this gets caught in the spring and stops""..

I have used this guy before..he wouldnt take any money..but i will know where to go for a priced watch repair ;) ;)

Ernie :cool:

ernie":1g9fbirh said:
just got mine fixed..this is how the watch tech explained what happened.. ""hairspring got caught on a moving part the moves 6 times a second..you must have banged that watch when the movement was moving out..this gets caught in the spring and stops""..

I have used this guy before..he wouldnt take any money..but i will know where to go for a priced watch repair ;) ;)

Ernie :cool:
Sounds like you've got a good local watch guy who knows his stuff - very handy.

Had that been the usual suspects on the high street, they'd have likely sent it off, for at least the cost of Gibble's "good faith" offer.

i shall have a look on there in a mo..
ps i just read on one website that putting it in a bag and then leaving in a freezer for a bit helps?

Back