Shimano Cassette installation

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Evening all,

First time using new(ish) Shimano (7700 series) for a build and i've hit a snag. Bought a pair of second hand wheels with Shimano freehub / body. I was told at sale that a 9-speed cassette had been used on these wheels so i've purchased a DA cassette and the correct installation tool. Here's the snag - the tool will not fit inbetween the lockring and the wheel spindle and hence I can't tighten the lockring to the correct Nm. Does this mean that in fact the hub / body is more likely to be 8-speed?

Many thanks in anticipation...

FINNEY1973":2il7cqbn said:
Evening all,

First time using new(ish) Shimano (7700 series) for a build and i've hit a snag. Bought a pair of second hand wheels with Shimano freehub / body. I was told at sale that a 9-speed cassette had been used on these wheels so i've purchased a DA cassette and the correct installation tool. Here's the snag - the tool will not fit inbetween the lockring and the wheel spindle and hence I can't tighten the lockring to the correct Nm. Does this mean that in fact the hub / body is more likely to be 8-speed?

Might be worth PM-ing Rusty Bodie, as he appears to have had similar grief with DA cassette hubs and lockring tools of late (I have in the past too, my own personal fudge is to use a Sachs splined freewheel remover as a lockring tool as the splines are a tad longer). Problem shared is a problem halved, and all that....

David

David B":323wziwu said:
FINNEY1973":323wziwu said:
Evening all,

Might be worth PM-ing Rusty Bodie, as he appears to have had similar grief with DA cassette hubs and lockring tools of late (I have in the past too, my own personal fudge is to use a Sachs splined freewheel remover as a lockring tool as the splines are a tad longer). Problem shared is a problem halved, and all that....

David

Smashing - thanks David - I do recall a thread a few months ago regarding such an issue so I'll hunt it down and have a good read of it. Bizarrely, I tried said cassette on another pair of wheels and it works fine, tool fits and it's tensioned correctly - I say bizarrely as both wheelsets are Spinergy so I'd assume same configurations. Assumption is incorrect - the older Rev X wheelset accepts the lockring tool whereas the newer Spox wheelset doesn't. If I dont get this sussed i'll certainly go down the Sachs route as you have suggested - many thanks indeed :)

Back