Square taper, grease or not!!!!

So whats the verdict for grease on cotter pins since they use a taper fit and thus are similar in principal to cotterless square taper bottom brackets :?: ;)

So grease if you own a torque wrench, not if you don't! :LOL:

Always clean and dry here and not a creak or a loosening nor a problem removing in twenty five years building bikes ... so do I stick with what has always worked for me or bow to some quite compelling arguments?

Empirical vs theoretical ... experience vs logic ... if it ain't broke vs progress...

Ahhhh, stuff this, I'm going ISIS! :LOL:

ISIS, not Octalink or Truvativ's other version, its complex out there at least square tapers only split between grease/no grease........oh and campagnola's square taper which is different :facepalm:

....Hmmm hadn't really thought through the poll idea, as this could add another 20 pages of debate as to what should be the poll options! :LOL:

gtRTSdh":2etdxgzh said:
This is not fact. An interference fit..
Everything i have written is fact. Cycle crank square taper is a clearance fit. Please read all of my previous posts within this thread to fully understand the subtle differences. I can understand why people are erroneously believing it to be an interference fit but it most definately is not. My description does not equate a washer to an interference fit, not in the slightest, you have misunderstood what i wrote. Maybe people are reading too fast but not comprehending fully. Please take a step back from preconceived ideas and really read all what i've written in my five or six contributions to this thread. Engineering is not something to fully appreciate and be an expert on after some minutes of internet surfing. This type of mechanical assembly is a clearance fit without any shadow of doubt. If you do not believe me please read the best quality sources you can find (i.e. invest in one or several top quality reference materials) and you will realise it to be true.

Now I am confused, a clearance fit with no clearance? That strikes me as a little counter intuitive to say the least!

Latest posts

Back