What 7 /8 speed chains are you using?

Me too for SRAM; 850 or 870. The 830 doesn't have the case hardening and is less durable. The two KMC ones I've tried didn't last too well.

Well as I thought, there aren't many championing shimano chains. which is what I've used previously and to be honest why I asked the question.

So its a toss up between KMC and Sram.

Thanks for all the replies guys :D

MADJEZ":2h1h533k said:
Bell one £4 from Asda .... :oops: :oops:

OK I have no shame but they work ok and I have lots of bikes...

+1 from me.

When Asda first stocked these they were stamped up as Taya chains. Now they are plain but I think they are still the same chain, same pins, quick link etc.

I've done a lot of miles on these, particularly on my work bike which gets used in all conditions (change it approx every 1000 miles) and never had one let me down.

Never been a big fan of shimano chains , cant be bothered with the pin faff
Quick links are great and you can join SRAMs with a chain tool if no quick link is avalable
Mike

Got a KMC on the Mrs. Bike. No issues at the price, never misses a shift.
Got a clarks no rust galvanised thing on the kona. Again shifts fine. The zinc is a bit pointless in this case as its always clean and oiled.
Got a shimano HGsomething on the fisher, shifted like crap when I first fitted it. Swore at it all the way to work and ended up flicking the thumbies into friction mode as it wouldn't index. Turned out one of the cable outers was failing though, so I forgave the chain. It's been fine since, but no better than a KMC that I can tell.

Hate quick links BTW, I never use em.

Shimano XTR/DA on the whole as they can be had for decent money and always spot on. With a quick link of course.

That said I'm sure I've got or had at least one of each type somewhere in the fleet/history and rarely found any trouble.

Only thing to watch for is using too narrow chains on older kit (ie 10sp chain on 7sp block as an extreme example) as the extra thickness of the teeth v can force the sideplates apart and pop them off.

Back