Is this really ritchey frame?

marcinski":2nyme140 said:
Well, to be fair the seller never claimed it's a real ritchey. He tried to find what it is but to no avail. It is however quality lightweight frame. I am considering buying it whatever it is. My concern is the sizing now. Not sure it will be big enough as I am 6 ft.

Thanks for the responses,
Marcin
Top tube 56cm actual, so probably 58 effective; you should be fine!
I'm not sure about it being a "quality lightweight frame" though; Those Snake stays should allow sufficient clearance for tyre and chainset without those bleedin' great divots. It would appear the stays haven't been properly thought out, just done for effect...
(but that could be true about all snake stays!)

if someone didn't have a clue then you would look for indicators and for most not in the know they would only see the ritchey drop outs and assume ritchey...despite ritchey drops being more widespread than fake designer glasses on north weald market

I would have to agree despite the stickers that is a frame with ritchey drop outs and stickers but not a ritchey

what it actually is might take a bit longer to find out

doctor-bond":34oevay5 said:
unkleGsif":34oevay5 said:
Indeed... my Kona has the same socket Ritchey dropouts.... must be a Ritchey :roll:

G

Can you prove it's a Kona? I'm not saying it's not, hell it might just be; but identifying old frames is a tricky business and is probably best left to experts.

Yes

suburbanreuben":1ohypxoh said:
I'm not sure about it being a "quality lightweight frame" though

Well, the frame weighs 1.887 kg, that's not too bad I think.

mass.jpeg

1887g is pretty light for a steel frame, so it must be built with good a quality set of tubes, and the fact that it uses Ritchey dropouts, which are more expensive than unbranded ones suggests that its a reasonably good quality frame, regardless of its true identity. It also has some features I particularly like, for example the top cable routing and a front facing seat clamp slot.

I'd take a punt on it, build it up and see how it rides, if I liked it, I wouldn't worry too much about what it actually was.

by the look of the top tube/seat stay I recon it's an early 90s Rocky Mountain, I have one and it does indeed have Ritchey rear drop outs, also has a Ritchey logo under the bottom bracket, def not a Ritchey, but very nice looking frame in my opinion! buy it anyeway :twisted:

Back