Wanted: A car for sunny days

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Being the eternal optimist, I have decided that I am on the look out for a little 2 seater hairdresser mobile for the glorious summer that lays ahead.

I have set my self a budget of up to £2.5-3k for a 2002 onwards Toyota MR2 or Mazda MX5, or upto £5k for a BMW Z4 or 2006 onwards MX5.

Any one know of anything? got anything? or have any other suggestions?

The car will be a luxury and not a necessity, I wont be using it daily, it will likely only do 5k miles a year and I shall be aiming to have shot of it by the end of the year.

i had a mx5 a while ago,what a hoot,i only sold it because i wanted a big concrete workshop putting in my garden,i yes,i would have another in flash,and i`m 6ft 4 and 16 stone,i loved it,kids loved it and the wife loved it,well worth the money. :D :D

I have a bmw z4 2.2 2004 .

Like all cars they have there common faults, I can help you will what to look out for.

I love it. Rear wheel drive, straight six engine. A traditional set up.

I'm actually looking for a z4m currently so might have mine up for sale. If your ever cambridge way , you can take it for a drive.

Doug

Funny you should mention that, I am working in Cambridge these days. :LOL:

I have driven Z4's before, I even had a deposit down on one a few years ago, but chickened out when the hood electronics packed up whilst closing leaving the hood half way up. This was a main agent and of course they promised to see it right, but it scared me off spending what would of been the most expensive single thing I have ever paid.

I'd buy an early MX-5 (Mk1).
Like with practically every remarkable car, the earliest ones are the purest expression of the concept. After that, it's all fiddling and profiteering.
You should get into a decent one well under budget.

I'm just about to post an ad for my wife's fiat barchetta. It's a 97 but has only done 66k. If you're interested let me know, would be within your budget. Here are a couple of crappy pics I grabbed on the way to work this morning, and how it looks when clean! I love it and would keep it but the Mrs wants something more practical.

IMG_20130314_060827_zpsd660249e.jpg

IMG_20130314_060814_zps66af44d8.jpg

DSC004511.jpg

DSC004491.jpg

My initial thought was a MX5, then i thought about it some more decided your best bet is a MX5. Reliable, fun, , plentiful, rear happy - if you like that sort of thing, can be made into a decent track car for little money again if you like that sort of thing :D

I go past Rumble's little car most days on the way to work and can confirm it is in lovely condition. Great looking car and a bit different from the other two seaters you see around the place.

I would have an MX5 in the blink of an eye. Earlier the better too. Later ones with bigger wheels have too much grip, the skinny tyres are the best - maximum fun at legal speeds.
Reliable, pretty good looking too - I wouldn't say it's a hairdressers car but sometimes one colour can be more manly than another. ;-)

Back