Bike Query and Tyre query

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

Hope you are all well.

Tonight's query - i bought my wife a bike today and the guy selling called it a mixte - could someone explain what this is please. As my wife is a little shorter than me (we would say here that "here arse is closer to the ground") i had to do a bit of creeping about to find out if this bike would fit her - to give her a surprise!!!! I did my measuring of here inside leg and when i measured the bike - happy days - it fits!!! I bought it and when she saw it she was very happy - brownie points to me (maybe 2!!)

Incredibly further investigation revealed that the bike is a childs bike!! Her arse is as close to the ground as my daughter's - and she is 6!!!
This is where the problem arose - i had not checked on availability of tyres and tubes. The bike is NOS which was in a shed for a long time but the tyres seem to be good and the frame is ok apart from some rust spots. I have looked at the tyres and i think (not definite) that the size is 24 x 1 3/8 - it is a bit blurry, there are other markings which say - 37 - 540. Could someone give me an idea whether these tyres and tubes are easily available and a pointer as to where.

Here are the pics -

IMGP2436_zpsd1f4bcb3.jpg

http://s1290.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=4

IMGP2438_zps5247faa3.jpg

IMGP2437_zps7536bf0c.jpg

I better add that, i might be a bit stupid, but the tube valves have a two piece valve cover - i have never seen this before. They are corroded a bit and i can see they are not presta or Schraeder, they may be Woods but they don't look like it - any ideas welcome - ideally i would change hem to presta if i can get them.

Thanks all, still the best forum on the planet and it is not addictive (<< deliberate lie),

Richard

The more eagle eyed Rber's may notice that i have re-arranged my garage - a full day to do it - i bought hooks to mount the bikes on the wall - i am still going to be short of space but i have a bit more floor room. Thanks to everyone who advised on this - again more pics - RBers seem to love pics!!!

IMGP2444_zps7a54b6ed.jpg

IMGP2446_zpsc2cfe710.jpg

The problem is that i have six more bikes to get in here - new house may be the solution - don't tell my wife!!!

Thanks all,

Richard

Richard,

Islabikes have a model with 24 x 1 tyres on it. You could try them although I'm sure there will be somewhere a lot closer. My wife is a shade taller than me, (lots taller if she wears heels. Luckily she's not good with heights so she rarely wears them), so she can use any of my bikes if she wants to.

Good storage solution there. Are the standard hooks?

Oh, could be the valves are the old Dunlop type.

Hiya, just a quick look on Ebay has revealed that your wife's new bike shares its wheel size with none other than your common and garden wheelchair, I'm sure she'll be delighted by that news! Looks like the supply of tubes and tyres (especially in NHS battleship grey) is not a problem!

Jesus wept, DO NOT TELL HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a neice who is a nurse, she might help out - hmmmmmmmmm grey tyres and a white bike - pondering that.

Thanks Penfold, i am avoiding any jokes,

Richard

i might have a common black nos variety Richard, i 'll throw it in with the other bits . and see you thurs afternoon..will

Will,

I am very wary of swearing on RB - but JESUS!!!! is there anything you do not have????????

I shall resume my swearing in my newly tidied garage!!!

Thanks,

Richard

The two piece valve sounds very like a Woods, does it look like this?

Easily swapped for a schrader :)

Attachments

• IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 335
To answer your first question, a 'mixte' is a frame with the twin 'top' tubes running from the head to the rear dropouts. Generally ridden by ladies as an alternative to the 'normal' ladies style frame. I think that for more 'serious' riding this design is a bit more rigid but still allows for stepover. They were built by even the most respected frame builders if required.

Hi chaps,

Here is a poor pic of the valve -

IMGP2440_zpsd25df2b2.jpg

The two piece cap is new to me.

Ned thanks for the mixte explanation, much appreciated.

Richard

Back