Official "My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs? "

Re: My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

R7's are light but not as light as the lightest SIDs unfortunately. Also most of them are disc only.

Re the tyres; have you considered going tubeless? :shock: :eek: :eek:

Yes, you only save 100gms or so (1/4lb!) of tube per wheel, but tubeless tyres roll much better!

suburbanreuben":j0hv1qjc said:

Yes, you only save 100gms or so (1/4lb!) of tube per wheel, but tubeless tyres roll much better!

Assuming you have Tubeless rims ?
Make shift ones, still need spunk and valve-rim strip ? which must weight something. (no idea how much spunk, sorry sealent stuff, or a valve weighs.

Tyre are the same weight though, given they are dual purpose tyres ?

All this talk is starting to get me to wonder what I should change on mine again :LOL: Not till the dry weather makes it useful though.

cce":9posa77f said:
R7's are light but not as light as the lightest SIDs unfortunately. Also most of them are disc only.

I think the ones I've got are around 2006 and they take V's. I know the lightest SIDs are super light but even second hand they are pricey.

The weight of the R7 seems to have bobbed up and down from year to year. The lightest are very light and the heaviest are just average.

FluffyChicken":3e8ryeyh said:
suburbanreuben":3e8ryeyh said:

Assuming you have Tubeless rims ?
Make shift ones, still need spunk and valve-rim strip ? which must weight something. (no idea how much spunk, sorry sealent stuff, or a valve weighs.

Tyre are the same weight though, given they are dual purpose tyres ?

All this talk is starting to get me to wonder what I should change on mine again :LOL: Not till the dry weather makes it useful though.
Nah, you don't need old fashioned, overweight "tubeless rims" Any old rim will do, with 20g of Stans yellow rim strip and 50-75g of jizz. I use Bonti TLRs at 500g per tyre for a 2.1...

Don't carry a pump (gas cartridge is lighter) nor a spare tube (2" square of patch and a half-emptied tube of glue lighter) nor a multi-tool (never ride alone and borrow). That'll save you half a grand on lighter components! And DO NOT have breakfast.

oldave":1r21lj9v said:
Don't carry a pump (gas cartridge is lighter) nor a spare tube (2" square of patch and a half-emptied tube of glue lighter) nor a multi-tool (never ride alone and borrow). That'll save you half a grand on lighter components! And DO NOT have breakfast.

I'll give up sex too

After looking at the forks, tyres, and stem I would say replace as many steel fasteners with ti or alloy as possible, but this really will drain the wallet! For stems I would say control tech, reasonably light but still strong or maybe ritchey, which seem easy to get and fairly well priced.

How do magura Rond Quake Air compare to say 1998-2000 Sids?

Back