Official "My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs? "

Re: The official - my Overweight Bike - how do I shed some l

Changed the name of the thread to allow others to post the same if like me they need assistance.

What do you reckon?

Re: My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

To lose both weight on the bike and rider economically, go for a singlespeed conversion. :shock:
I reckon it's worth around 3-4lbs on a bike (1.5kgs ish)
Try it, you might even like it!

hamster":1n15vtgf said:
To lose both weight on the bike and rider economically, go for a singlespeed conversion. :shock:
I reckon it's worth around 3-4lbs on a bike (1.5kgs ish)
Try it, you might even like it!

I'd rather ride a skateboard with stabilisers ;)

Ok

What fork?

1999 - 2000 rockshox sid or 2003-2006 Fix F80 RLT and how much should I pay and which fork is lighter in weight and how do they compare?

And stem;
Pace RC45, Ringle Zooka or Syncros cattle head ?

And finally, keep these wheels or mavic 517 Sup on XT hubs?

Re: Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

Fudd":18chnl4f said:
ibbz":18chnl4f said:
Any Stem suggestions??

As for Forks, I'm looking at;
Pace RC36 Pro Class
RS Sids
Mz Z2 x-fly

And the following RSP Ti is my benchmark, I love the way it's been put together, much nicer looking than mine (though mine's very different)
viewtopic.php?t=235232
20121220-P1020772_zpsa9cb86e2.jpg

I wonder how light this would be??

I recognize that bike ;) . I've since swapped the stem to a 100mm Pace one but the rest is unchanged. It still has the XT pedals which weigh a ton, a XT 9sp cassette which is a fair bit heavier than a XTR 8sp, plus them tyres have steel beads rather than kevlar... Its coming up as 23.4lbs on my bathroom scales.

With regards to the weight of your bike, changing the forks and fitting V brakes would be the obvious place to start. I've never used Magura's but my V's are powerful enough to launch me over the bars at will and any extra power from hydraulics would be wasted on me. I never realised they were so heavy either. I don't know what your tyre's weigh but anything over 600g's is porky for an xc tyre imho. If you can save 100g from each tyre you'll feel the difference with it being rotating weight saved and it could potentially transform how it rides. A lighter saddle and titanium bb might save 1/2lb but beyond that you just need to start comparing weights and seeing where you can save the most for your £££.

But the most important thing is that the bike is set up and fits you properly. Get this sorted first and then start shaving the grams :cool:

Thanks man!
Your bike is the benchmark custom rsp Ti :)

I do like my saddle and seat post as they're very light and comfortable.

I think changing the fork will lose 2 lbs straight away and bring it down to 23 lbs or so.
That seems to be the main problem, nice plush forks but unsuited to the frame and too front heavy and removing these would balance it nice as that's what I really want.
A nice light but balanced ride.

It's choice between rS sid from 1999 2000 or a Fox F80

What spokes and nipples are you using? DT revolution spokes and aluminium nipples will make a surprising difference.

gtRTSdh":3dj0xi99 said:
What spokes and nipples are you using? DT revolution spokes and aluminium nipples will make a surprising difference.

Good question!

I'm not sure. I will have alook see.
Would butted DT revolution spokes make a difference? Around about how much??

You should already have DT DB spokes in them wheels, but probably not Revolutions ;) A costly, pointless exercise changing at this stage, but later when you're chasing the last bit or building up wheels anyway, why not :)

You'll be wanting 130g/150g inner tubes and 450g to 550g tyres before that.

Spokes x32 , DT Comp (2/1.8 butting) 262/264mm = 192g Which will probably be similar to what you have.
Revs are 148g for the same length (2/1.5 butting)
Brass to Alu nipples are iirc 30g lighter
(bit less than 1/3lb saving for a pair of wheels)

(P.S. XT and 517 will be heavier wheels iirc given the same spokes and nipples.)

The Fox will be the better fork, they are 5 years newer.

You said these forks where 4lb?
Light forks will be around 3lb, so only a 1lb saving.
Rigid forks are 1.5 to 2lb in weight alone, but you're not going there ;)

You've still not replied with the length of this current stem ?

I really doubt the general weight loss will do much to the ride, other then some lighter modern tyres (or even Amber wall MythosXC's) and a tweak in the steering responsiveness and your balance on the bike.
They are a different style of ride between both your bikes.

Get the basics, sorted, ride, ride some more and then worry about it again and drip feed new lighter bits on and move the old to that extra frame you now need to buy :)

I should add, look in our own Weight Weenie section (now closed for adding to :( ) at the bottom of the forum, there are some good wieghts for retro parts (and modern) in there
Also use http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php but you often need to be careful and know what they have done to parts.

I've got Manitou R Seven forks and they are pretty seriously light, certainly down in SID territory, if not less.

Latest posts

Back