Ukip and Tory alliance?

Why you would expect a vote on the matter?

Clearly we are not going to 'win' the referendum on current form.

I think the devo max option would have been a better bet as a single question, and the SNP could plausibly have argued it was part of a phased independence process. Setting the independence vote further back would allow more time for the issues to be discussed and debated.

Never mind though, remember Cameron has promised further measures to increase self determination to reward us wee Scots for rejecting independence.

Why on earth would he do that, instead of going ahead with such things meanwhile? Why wait? Was he going to withhold them as a punitive measure had we 'rebelled'? How would that work?

Salmond has much more credibility with the people of Scotland than Cameron has with the people of the UK.

Cut him and he would bleed whisky. Mind you, so would Charlie Kennedy.

We should have a President too, Sean Connery is a shoe in, but Billy Connolly is waiting in the wings.

highlandsflyer":2fyvrsmi said:
Clearly we are not going to 'win' the referendum on current form.
Or any form for decades and more. Despite what fatso thinks we don't want it.

I think the devo max option would have been a better bet as a single question, and the SNP could plausibly have argued it was part of a phased independence process. Setting the independence vote further back would allow more time for the issues to be discussed and debated.
We're getting independence whether we like it or not. The only issue is time. Hopefully a convincing no vote will put it on the back burner for a generation. If there was to be a devo max second question there should also have been a third disband Holyrood option for us non chookters who wouldn't be seen dead in a tartan dress.

Never mind though, remember Cameron has promised further measures to increase self determination to reward us wee Scots for rejecting independence.
Cameron's promised a lot of things that haven't materialised. And even that's assuming he's still PM come then.

mikee":2p6ymvab said:
technodup":2p6ymvab said:
Say what you like about Thatcher, Foot, Kinnock etc but at least we knew what they stood for. As I said earlier other than Salmond, Farage and I hesitate to throw the odious Galloway into the mix the rest just say whatever they think will play well with the focus groups this week.

Just like real politicians then ?

The only thing thatcher et'al stood for was their own gains ,thatcher hated anyone working class
And kinnock hated anyone else

At least bilbo salmond seems to have the country's interest at heart

Humm he comes across to me as wrapping up his own interests in the flag of Scotland, Mr Salmond is a very dangerous chap.

brocklanders023":3o2i9l4z said:
Can we keep Galloway though, I like a lot of what he says.
Really?

He's forthright enough, and at times reasonably eloquent - but seems to be under some illusion about how connected he is with "normal" or "young" people - and also, you'd have to say, a bit insidious and downright exploitative at times.

If there ever was a dark lord of the sith, trying to masquerade as a "good guy" he'd be the one. He appears to have forgotten an important rule of being a bad guy, though - don't draw (or try to) attention to yourself.

brocklanders023":3vqvdul7 said:
Will I get a vote on whether I want you dress wearing types to stay as part of the UK?

If you're all like Mikee it'll be a 'NO' from me ;) :LOL:

im a yorkshireman , just like you edd :D

I can't believe that anyone would actually want George Galloway within a thousand miles of them, never mind making political decisions for them... you're welcome to him, so long as he's kept imprisoned in London.

I too wish we could disband Holyrood - I thought the politicians in Westminster were bad, but Holyrood has shown just how much worse they could be. We've thrown billions of pounds of useful money down the toilet and have got nothing back but repeated bills from the plumbers for clearing up the mess - and they're hardly started yet, it appears.

It's very telling that the SNP are so desperate to allow ignorant and emotionally undeveloped hormone-crazed children with zero life experience or understanding of politics to vote - I know that the first time I voted was the one and only time I voted SNP and if there were any way of going back in time I'd undo that serious mistake...

Salmond has massive respect from the majority of Scots, incomers as well as long term inmates.

The SNP could quite understandably have delayed the referendum, they decided to go ahead.

The main thing that has changed in the last thirty years is that the SNP are no longer considered a one issue party.

Absurdly, from a 1980 perspective, they are, if anything, the natural party of government here.

I feel it was a mistake to go along with the one question poll.

It is what it is now though.

What will be crucial is how we recover from losing the Referendum, how we move on.

mikee":2tykrlkw said:
brocklanders023":2tykrlkw said:
Will I get a vote on whether I want you dress wearing types to stay as part of the UK?

If you're all like Mikee it'll be a 'NO' from me ;) :LOL:

im a yorkshireman , just like you edd :D

No wonder I like you so much then mate :D

Neil":78zysnyh said:
brocklanders023":78zysnyh said:
Really?

He's forthright enough, and at times reasonably eloquent - but seems to be under some illusion about how connected he is with "normal" or "young" people - and also, you'd have to say, a bit insidious and downright exploitative at times.

Don't disagree with you Neil but I used to listen to his radio show on Talksport a few years back and have followed him since so don't think he's the idiot the right wing press would have you believe. He has talken apart other politicians in debate by simply knowing his stuff and believing in what he's saying which is more then can be said for many at Westminster. Check out youtube etc.
I don't agree with everything he says but I think his position is closer to my own then Cameron/Clegg/Miliband.

brocklanders023":1iykj9jq said:
Neil":1iykj9jq said:
brocklanders023":1iykj9jq said:
Really?

Don't disagree with you Neil but I used to listen to his radio show on Talksport a few years back and have followed him since so don't think he's the idiot the right wing press would have you believe. He has talken apart other politicians in debate by simply knowing his stuff and believing in what he's saying which is more then can be said for many at Westminster. Check out youtube etc.
I don't agree with everything he says but I think his position is closer to my own then Cameron/Clegg/Miliband.
I wouldn't say he's stupid, either - I think he has a reasonably keen mind, for the things that suit his alignment.

All the same, merely having a reasonable intellect, and good enough research to bluster other MPs isn't good enough to win me over. And I'm not talking about the oil thing, I just thing there's some decidedly specious aspects to his political ethos - or at least alignment / sympathies - that are truly dubious. I wouldn't find him anything like as odious, were it not for the things he attacks, compared with the things he defends / sides with / acquiesces to / hand-waves about / deftly sidesteps.

As to youtube, Hitchens put him in his place on more than one occasion - that said, that's just because he met his match in somebody of at least equal, if not greater intellect, as much, if not more research and background knowledge, and as much if not greater degree of assertion.

I can see how some could find him / his bombasticness appealling, but consider less how he says things, and who he bluffs and blusters, to what he's actually saying, and what he decides to keep quite about / keep schtum about.

Back