How do you choose a saddle?

The personal choice thing is really the root of the problem, how do I know which saddle to choose?

As IWasGood said, it could turn into an expensive business.

I may try a spare Spoon and maybe pick up a San Marco Rolls or a Turbo from the bay.

just keep cycling them through eBay, buy, try and sell. Until you get one you like.

Loosing a few quid on each one is no great hardship if it means sitting on your bike (or in the pub afterwards) isn't agony.........

Think a guy on one forum i use got through about 20 saddles doing this.

I think I have been lucky as I hit upon saddles I like first time.

I currently use a SDG Belair on my main MTB, a unknown cheap saddle on my Retro MTB (must change this for something period), a Sella Italia C2 on my wet weather bike, a Sella Italia SLR XP on my trek dry weather bike, something cheap on the tourer and a sella Italia trbo on the Alan.

All of these saddles are different and I can ride all of them all day. So I can ride on almost anything. Maybe that why I find saddles I like first time.

FINNEY1973":2gdndj05 said:
My other bikes all have 1980's / 90's Selle Italia Flite's - they're on steel frames and are really comfy.

Saddles with springy Ti rails seem to have a lot going for them in the comfort stakes - I've owned a San Marco SKN or two and they are very good despite being quite a "minimal" saddle. I use one (with Union Flag design which usually nets a few compliments at races) on the 'cross bike at present, whilst the tourer has a cheapish San Marco Race Gel black saddle which serves me well on 100-mile rides. My road bike has a Selle Italia C2, not had it all that long but in general the signs are positive.

David

My Brooks Professional is still my most comfortable saddle, it travels with me from bike to bike , regardless of period...for pics I sometimes change it over, same applies to my GRAND SPORT pedals....

San Marco Rolls Titanio is all I use, on road or MTB. It's the one single component where weight weenie is a big No No and what other people consider it to be hefty, ancient or it doesn't look right I don't care one bit. When set-up properly (right height, slightly dipped so the nose is a touch lower than the slightly raised back), broken in after only a few rides and wearing decent padded shorts there's comfort from the first minute all the way to +8 hrs later. I tried a Flite Ti which is very popular but for me I thought is was the equivalent of sitting spread eagled across a breeze block; a 3 hr ride took me off the bike altogether for 5 days. As said, it's personal but when you do find the one that works for you, stock up!

I just kept recycling different saddles from e-bay. When you find one that fits your arse you'll know. My favorite ended up being a San Marco Aspide.

bigpantswheels":12gkimlk said:
I just kept recycling different saddles from e-bay. When you find one that fits your arse you'll know. My favorite ended up being a San Marco Aspide.

This could end up being a very long search, as there are hundreds of the things on ebay.

I'm going to try a couple of the suggestions offered and see how I get on.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I'm even bothering, as the San Marco is not uncomfortable... it's just not the same as my Charge Spoons :roll:

Latest posts

Back