Mystery Raleigh Roadbike

Re short mudguards, if no-one wants the frame, the ones you see will be on offer.
I will check out frame serial numbers at the weekend.
Work commitments and serious plumbing "issues " with underground heating pipes at home leave no spare time.
I appreciate the interest shown in my bike question.
Thanks everyone
Paul

I found the serial No on the LH rear drop out by scraping the paint off.
It is 85062, with no letters, and the 8 is definitely 8 not B.
According to the Sheldon Brown and Kurtkaminer websites, which have a lot of serial no info,
it could be a Supercourse, Gran Prix or Grand sport.The latter is out as it doesn't have wrap over stays.
Looking at photos of the Gran Prix, the wheels should have large flange hubs, and this one doesn't.
It is most unlikely the person who owned the bike originally would have downgraded the wheels.
Any thoughts?
Paul

Re:

For those interested, the bike is a Carlton Corsa Strada from around 1970. I have finally found a set of photos of a bike with all the correct decals,and badges and all the frame details are identical. Wrap over rear stays, rear brake cable stop, pump brackets on the cross tube etc.

Re:

Wow!
That took a bit of time but you got there in the end.
Have you still got it? And if so are you now riding it?
Jamie

Re:

I was lucky to see a photo of one in New York,on the internet, then I saw a photo of a Carlton badge , and I remembered that the original Head badge which had been missing since the 1970's was the blue and red Carlton badge not a Raleigh one.
Raleigh was a decal on the down tube.
I started looking for the history again, as the bike is now sold and will be restored by the new owner.

Latest posts

Back