Official "My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs? "

Re: Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

We_are_Stevo":1klit3vk said:
I'm 53 this year, not 13; Maxxis 310's suit me just fine... ;)

I like the way they spin up so quickly, and now I have the Avid disks on it stops on a sixpence (about the size of a 5p coin for anyone under 40!) too... :cool:

The 310 do look tempting amd i have heard they do ride nice, though conflicting accounts. but lightweight tyres for me aren't economical as I need longevity. Which is very important.
They do I admit make a hige difference with weight!

hmmmm i can see you loosing weight in the bank balance area first!! ;)

zetecmk2":hsi2lfcq said:
hmmmm i can see you loosing weight in the bank balance area first!! ;)
Damn right man!
And the way this is going, the only way is negative bank balances!

I love threads like this. mostly because my rigid STEEL muddyfox came in under 22lbs with nothing particularly exotic on it. (steel zoom stem for example). with Maguras and 2.2' bontrager xr4's its still under 24lb :twisted: thats not particularly helpfull i know but considering it cost me £40.00 in the first place...

ibbz":z94na9z9 said:
Any Stem suggestions??

As for Forks, I'm looking at;
Pace RC36 Pro Class
RS Sids
Mz Z2 x-fly

And the following RSP Ti is my benchmark, I love the way it's been put together, much nicer looking than mine (though mine's very different)
viewtopic.php?t=235232
20121220-P1020772_zpsa9cb86e2.jpg

I wonder how light this would be??

I recognize that bike ;) . I've since swapped the stem to a 100mm Pace one but the rest is unchanged. It still has the XT pedals which weigh a ton, a XT 9sp cassette which is a fair bit heavier than a XTR 8sp, plus them tyres have steel beads rather than kevlar... Its coming up as 23.4lbs on my bathroom scales.

With regards to the weight of your bike, changing the forks and fitting V brakes would be the obvious place to start. I've never used Magura's but my V's are powerful enough to launch me over the bars at will and any extra power from hydraulics would be wasted on me. I never realised they were so heavy either. I don't know what your tyre's weigh but anything over 600g's is porky for an xc tyre imho. If you can save 100g from each tyre you'll feel the difference with it being rotating weight saved and it could potentially transform how it rides. A lighter saddle and titanium bb might save 1/2lb but beyond that you just need to start comparing weights and seeing where you can save the most for your £££.

But the most important thing is that the bike is set up and fits you properly. Get this sorted first and then start shaving the grams :cool:

Unclejack":39qn3kfh said:
I love threads like this. mostly because my rigid STEEL muddyfox came in under 22lbs with nothing particularly exotic on it. (steel zoom stem for example). with Maguras and 2.2' bontrager xr4's its still under 24lb :twisted: thats not particularly helpfull i know but considering it cost me £40.00 in the first place...

returns diminish pretty quickly below 22lbs. Got my old kilauea to 22 without trying that hard, getting down to 21 was expensive.

Current merlin is 20.7. I know how to get it into the 19s, but not sure if this is a path I want to follow yet.

I take it all you guys with ~20lb bikes are all down to 5% body fat? After all, no point towing a caravan with a Ferrari. :p

xerxes":2lx30fjl said:
I take it all you guys with ~20lb bikes are all down to 5% body fat? After all, no point towing a caravan with a Ferrari. :p

I'm down to 0% wallet fat ;)

Back