Official "My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs? "

Re: Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

Any Stem suggestions??

As for Forks, I'm looking at;
Pace RC36 Pro Class
RS Sids
Mz Z2 x-fly

And the following RSP Ti is my benchmark, I love the way it's been put together, much nicer looking than mine (though mine's very different)
viewtopic.php?t=235232
20121220-P1020772_zpsa9cb86e2.jpg

I wonder how light this would be??

cce":1pmwk6c7 said:
FluffyChicken":1pmwk6c7 said:
You have the new Smoke/Dart combo... Kevlar version ?
585g is not so heavy, but you could run other modern tyres like the 2.25 Scwalbe Ron's/Nics Rons are lighter at ~450/475 for the folding/Performance style, Nics are better in the soft mud but heavier at 550/580g (I cannot remember, but they are the tougher SnakeSkin version) The biggest part is they do not feel like heavy tyres as the respond and roll so well in comparison.

Maxxis 310's, shite tyres other than for weighing in, unless you're running down a flat dirt track with no corners and no brambles/hawthorn hedges anywhere. Even worse than Continental Twisters (which are similar weenie tyres)

Anyway, to take that out of the equation just use the tyres on your other bike.
My Kona's crept up in weight, but I don't really notice it.

Nobby Nic TLR Evo 2.25 is 545g. That's a lot of performance for a light weight
Just looked up mine (thought I'd listed them, shame that's not able to post to as the Wiki is to hard to just add to)
Both mine from 2010
Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO Snakeskin 2.25
585g
580g

viewtopic.php?p=961551#p961551

According to viewtopic.php?p=240794#p240794
Smoke/Dart are 670/630g in 2.1 folding. Not heavy for the size when they where out in the early 90's though.

Have I missed the frame weight(s)? Can't just assume that Ti is "lighter".

Other than that, as everyone else - forks, tyres, saddle and cassette.

And....beware of diminishing returns. Even at my 9 st max, losing 1 lb off a 25 lb bike drops "our" combined moving weight by a less than massive 0.66%.

My bikes are always heavier than identically spec'd bikes and seem to gain weight between leaving the builder and reaching me. Now why is that....

oldave":2m2l1kpe said:
Have I missed the frame weight(s)? Can't just assume that Ti is "lighter".

Other than that, as everyone else - forks, tyres, saddle and cassette.

And....beware of diminishing returns. Even at my 9 st max, losing 1 lb off a 25 lb bike drops "our" combined moving weight by a less than massive 0.66%.

My bikes are always heavier than identically spec'd bikes and seem to gain weight between leaving the builder and reaching me. Now why is that....

Saddle weighs next to nothing, and the cassette it's a M950 pretty light Ti cassette, and these are two thing I wont ever change - as can't justify the outlay, and I'm happy with them.
If I can get a lighter wheelset at a good price, then I may well swap the wheels over (I like these as the hubs match the two mechs)

I don't know much about wheelset weights. I have always assumed M231's are pretty light weight, no idea about M900 hubs though. Any suggestions for something under £100?

I think forks for starters, Stem, followed by Tyres if needed and then we shall see.

M900 wheels are not typically heavy (for it's era) the front is about the same as any suspension hub and might be lighter than a more modern Hope Mono/XC717 setup (mine are about 80g lighter)
231's are also not heavy for the era either.
Spoke type/Nipples all count to the weight.

The rear hub is the main weight for the wheel set, but then you'll need to move to Titanium Freehubed hubs (like Ti-Glide/Mono or the M950 series)

Not the cheapest of changes, but you should get your money back on the wheels if the cones are good.

Just change the stem for now, stick anything on that you can try that is shorter and see how it rides.
the weight will not ultimately alter it's ride. It may just be getting used to the suspension or the wrong sweep bars (I know it takes time to get used to straight compared to my nice 5+dgree sweep flat bars.)

Ride it some more before you splash out too much.

FluffyChicken":1xr4vweo said:
M900 wheels are not typically heavy (for it's era) the front is about the same as any suspension hub and might be lighter than a more modern Hope Mono/XC717 setup (mine are about 80g lighter)
231's are also not heavy for the era either.
Spoke type/Nipples all count to the weight.

The rear hub is the main weight for the wheel set, but then you'll need to move to Titanium Freehubed hubs (like Ti-Glide/Mono or the M950 series)

Not the cheapest of changes, but you should get your money back on the wheels if the cones are good.

Just change the stem for now, stick anything on that you can try that is shorter and see how it rides.
the weight will not ultimately alter it's ride. It may just be getting used to the suspension or the wrong sweep bars (I know it takes time to get used to straight compared to my nice 5+dgree sweep flat bars.)

Ride it some more before you splash out too much.

Thanks man!
You've put it so positively.
I will try a new stem first.
And will change to lighter forks

Still need suggestions for stems.

Controltech ibis itm ... No idea .

I'm 53 this year, not 13; Maxxis 310's suit me just fine... ;)

I like the way they spin up so quickly, and now I have the Avid disks on it stops on a sixpence (about the size of a 5p coin for anyone under 40!) too... :cool:

Back