Questions regarding Chain Rings size to what Crank Arms size

Re: Questions regarding Chain Rings size to what Crank Arms

oh have a look at the STX/LX/XT e.g. m739 style but with the 5 arm spider on. they are often cheap. my Kona thread might show a set.

Anthony":1vr0sf7u said:
I don't see how we can justify giving advice that standard five-arm compact-drive cranks are hard to find. And therefore you need to pay such a large amount for RF Turbines. That's nowhere near being true. e.g., all Shimano CD cranks from 94 to 96 were five-arm with BCD 94/58, such as XT M737. The last time I bought some M737 they were £25 if I recall.

My reply was based on 'current' availability S/H and the fact the OP wanted something 'nice' rather than what was spec'd 20 years ago, is all...

Bought a set of raceface turbine LP posted for £40 polished.
Which granny spacers do I need please?
Can anyone link or specify ??

These ones I bought

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=226889

There is link to photo there too.

Do they need granny'spacers?

Guys, I was wondering whether you could help.

I have the following now...

photo_11.jpg

What would I need to turn this into a 3 ring crank set?

Please help a neophyte ! :)

You need a nice matching granny ring.
You don't seem to have been given the granny spacers, which should be sold as part of the crank. You'll need to buy these and they are longer, probably 7mm with an Alu granny or 8mm with a small steel ring, give or take a few hundred microns as I cannot remember the exact lengths.
You'll need a full bolt set. CRC for these, 5 triple outer and 5 16mm inner.
A 107mm bottom bracket, and do use grease on the tapers as per Raceface instructions.

FluffyChicken":297uwg5y said:
You need a nice matching granny ring.
You don't seem to have been given the granny spacers, which should be sold as part of the crank. You'll need to buy these and they are longer, probably 7mm with an Alu granny or 8mm with a small steel ring, give or take a few hundred microns as I cannot remember the exact lengths.
You'll need a full bolt set. CRC for these, 5 triple outer and 5 16mm inner.
A 107mm bottom bracket, and do use grease on the tapers as per Raceface instructions.

Thanks man, I'll be keeping this granny ring as I don't want to spend more, the crank seller didn't have any granny spacers though, I bought the crank arms for £35.
I was wondering whether yourself or anyone could perhaps provide a link to a seller who will sell the spacers?
And where do the spacers go?
How would I fit these together?

Thanks guys!

Down to the real basics.
I've never bought any spacers, but try searching or put in the wanted (as I'm sure others might be able to point to them) they are not a common length.
See the granny bolt holes (the 5 inside one)
Bolt the granny ring on and it'll flap about, it goes over the bolt between the granny ring and the crank.

If I come across a picture I'll post it up.

FluffyChicken":3dj5nlly said:
Down to the real basics.
I've never bought any spacers, but try searching or put in the wanted (as I'm sure others might be able to point to them) they are not a common length.
See the granny bolt holes (the 5 inside one)
Bolt the granny ring on and it'll flap about, it goes over the bolt between the granny ring and the crank.

If I come across a picture I'll post it up.

Thanks man, makes sense, I found this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74449&start=30

By the way, final Question (sorry to be a pain), on CRC would these two sets of Bolts be fine?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35865 (16mm Inner x5)

and

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35866 (for these Outers, 8.5mm or 6.5mm??? )

Thanks.

I'll put a wanted ad on too!

Back