Merlin

lewisfoto":1gzjgfho said:
I would not force it, titanium can tear. Better to try and mill .04 mm off of your post or acquire the 27mm post.
thanks, I intend to do just that.

Merlins are 27.2 period.

You need to gently pry the clamp open until the relief slot is straight up and down and the two sides are parallel. Then insert your 27.2 post.

Perhaps there is dirt in the seat tube, clean everything and try again.

mkozaczek":38ac6519 said:
Merlins are 27.2 period.

You need to gently pry the clamp open until the relief slot is straight up and down and the two sides are parallel. Then insert your 27.2 post.
...but bit risky for me.

Nader":kdbhcqu0 said:
mkozaczek":kdbhcqu0 said:
Merlins are 27.2 period.

...but bit risky for me.

Just do it. Get a nice screwdriver and insert it between the pinch bolt halves and gently apply force. Happens all the time, you'll be fine.

mkozaczek":uscu9c83 said:
Just do it. Get a nice screwdriver and insert it between the pinch bolt halves and gently apply force. Happens all the time, you'll be fine.
ok I did it.

spsize2.jpg

spsize3.jpg

Believe me, it was not easy and that's not normal! :shock:
Now I definitely know this Merlin just needs 27 and not 27.2.

Nader":1hzbgq2f said:
mkozaczek":1hzbgq2f said:
ok I did it.

spsize2.jpg

spsize3.jpg

Believe me, it was not easy and that's not normal! :shock:
Now I definitely know this Merlin just needs 27 and not 27.2.

Good job. Now you may have a beer.

I have the same issue with mine. I have a few posts in 27.2 and none of them fit. I haven't really looked into it too much as I am waiting until I get round to the build itself.

For the record all vintage Merlins are 27.2

You measured the ID of the seat tube which is clearly 27.2 (even though it measures 27.14) did you ever measure your seat post?? Did you try cleaning both with some scotchbrite??

I mean, why would you go against the specs and assume that your Merlin is different and needs a smaller diameter tube when all other Merlins the world over use 27.2 posts??? Now, you're going to over tighten the pinch bolt by using an undersized post and overtime brake the frame because you didn't see the problem through correctly. Your bike...

Back