The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the family.

My husband had a Muddy Fox Explorer with Biopace chainset. Lasted him years before the fram split.

Enjoy the site, I think its great

Alison

evening all...

I have been lurking in the background for a while now since my other half joined (Dave aka gradeAfailure) but thought I should finally actually say Hi!!! Am a newbie to the MTB scene having grown up through my teens with road bikes and only the occasional foray into the dirt on my friends bikes - however since Dave decided to get back into bikes I've been gradually getting the bug too...!

Due to Dave finally finding a Fat Chance that he wanted I have been passed down his Bontrager Privateer OR - she's still in bits at the moment as she had been being prepared for a strip down, paint job and a rebuild with some nice new, well new retro, shiney bits... however I like mine a little tatty round the edges so I am salveging what bits I can and only replacing the essentials... she's a little battered and bruised but I love her and cant believe I managed to get this as my first proper MTB rather than a bright blue girly bike from Halfrauds... schweet...

Hope to come along to a forum meet sometime....!

Laura...

My baby

Mike here ..... currently retro re-building my beloved Salsa-a-la-Carte ..... white with red,gold & green Rasta paint job ......purple and more purple .... Ringle Zookah stem , front hub , anti chain-suck thing ..... red,gold & green Salsa skewers ..... XT / XTR groupset ...would LOVE thumbshifters but have been unable to track some down ........ Mountain Goat headset - Ritchey logic brakes etc etc etc will send a photo when complete ! if it ever is ...

hi

like to introduce myself
name: jim
riding since: 88
bikes: emmelle cougar 12, tange 4130 wishbone stay no-name frame built up bike mix or LX DX XT. Merlin XLM circa 90 with the bits off my old tange frame transferred to it. its my only bike, i ride it all the time.
:)
SP_A0055.jpg

:)

merlin frame
no-name cromo 1" forks
mavic 217sup rims, built by me with DT DB spokes, 28 2x front, 32 3x rear. XT front hub, DX cassette hub rear. 7 speed. LX cranks 2 chainrings pace 32 46. ti bb, XTspuds, xt headset, ITM Ti stem, eston bars, dewey two bar ends, roady specialized carbon post, AD990 rear bmx u-brakes, dia compe 987 front cantis, braided xt cables. tioga city slickers.

rides quite nice, weighs about 10.5kg with bottles, pump, saddle bag.

ill probably turn it into a single speed back pedal brake bolt up city bike when i move to sydney, and ill have to scrape the merlin decals off :D

Sweet site

Hi,

Stumbled across this site from the 'bay. Glad I did :D

I've been mountain biking since about '92 when I got my first Stumpy. Beautiful beast until I stacked her and dinged to top tube. Last seen being ridden by a Glasgow courier.

I worked in the big Glasgow bike shop for a few years so saw (and sold) a fair few bikes until about '96. Left with a S-works M2 custom built and got a real job.

Still got the M2. The Judy XC's I fitted to replace the rigid forks have now seen better days (blown cartrdige seals I think) so I either need a new cartridge, or a new set of forks..... The joys of the 1" head tube! Perhaps I'll go proper retro and fit the rigids back on. Second thoughts, I'm probably too old for that.

Thanks for the site. Nice.

Big C.

Hi,

Have only jsut discovered the site, looks great.

first bike was a 500LX equiped MBK with the original steel offroad flexstem (B4 they became Girvin) bought in Chamonix about 1988/9. used to ride almost daily till i rode it into a tree and snapped the forks, split the headtube.

Now riding a rigid 93 Orange clockwork with original deore DX inc original thumbshifters, and a 95 stumpjumper FS (possibly the last year they had steel frames?) Mag 21s were replaced with SIDs several years ago, but the original forks are still hanging on the garage wall.

Actually Im not riding the Orange at the moment due to lack of forks... but thas what lead me to this site, via google. so every cloud.....

Used to ride the Gorrick series and SAMS races, some time ago. Think my last 'effort' at competing was Malvern classic in 1994

mh1000

EDIT: Should add - my dream bike is still an original RC100 with upside down ahead system and bullseye cranks.

Sup I'm Anthony out in Sunny South Dakota. I recently purchase a Proflex Beast off eBay for $200. I'll throw some pics up later this week. I managed to scroung up some elastomers for it. I changed out the Mavic wheels for some wheels I had on my other bike. Believe it or not I've always wanted one of these. Back in 96-97 they were way out of my price range.

Hi, I'm Boz.

Looked at this site following a link from konaretro, Don't actually have an old school bike yet, after a mid 90's hardtail Kona in the next month when I get my student loan.

Currently riding a 2005 Lana'i, though it has been canibalized somewhat since I bought it.

Been riding for about 10 years now, and its took this long and many ££££s to work out rigid and simplicity is the way it's meant to be.

Hey,

My first MTB (87)if you could call it that was a Falcon.Who I seem to remember used to make BMX.Coz I had a Comp Flyer and that was a Falcon.
Man I killed that bike in like 6 months!It had an old cotter pin crank which wasn't up to the task!

Then a Kona Hahanna(1992) which was the bottom of the range.Ugraded with Deore DX crankset and f/r mech,USE seatpost in gold and GT Platform pedals etc which was good until it got nicked.

After that came my Specialized Rock Hopper Expert(mid 90's) in Sort of pink fading to dark purple.Suntour XC Pro throughout.Which is the bike I'm currently doing up now.

Then I was out of MTB for a while until a couple of years ago when I bought my mates Le Zaskar 98?In purple just before he emigrated its got bullseye hubs etc...
Thats another little side project as well!

Hi,

Found this site through a mate of mine!

First bike was 1992 Peugeot Team Replica (about the same as an activator!)

Has to wait until I was 18 until I could afford a decent bike frame; a GT Zaskar in luvverly ball burnish! Had various others throughout the years, mainly downhill;

Specialized FSA Elite DH
Muddy Fox Jump Frame (limited edition - 1 of only 50!)
Giant ATX-1 DH
Pace 500-DH F2 - very sweet only 20 made!
Keewee Chromo-8 (weighed 64lbs fully built with supermonsters!)

Now I'm on a mission to built a retro DH rig for under £300 - and so far sucessful!

. . . 80% built GT Lobo 1000DH!

laters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back