Temple Newsam - Revisited. 16.03.2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
chrisv40":1wkle6ep said:
I'm out got to bloody work this Saturday :(

fair enough mate, i'm not yet convinced you are gonna miss out :eek: triple time though chris, look forward to that ;)

kick me hard in the ass next time you see me.

You better not cancel as I'm in the middle of stripping bits of the Spesh to try and get the Genesis frame into a bike and Saturday was to be the test ride to see what it's like and still give me time to revert it all to the Spesh for Easter if it's not right !
Matthew

No danger, unless all routes over the Pennines are completely blocked it'll take more than a bit of weather to stop us RetroBiking!

Just back from a recce.. yep soft in places then, dry, soft again.

Mainly dry but the mud you collect sticks around, so to speak ;). There are two v soft puddley bits that are 4m long at best, beyond that it's typical off-road good- to -soft stuff. Imagine cannock chase without the bike destroying element to it, more organic.

Nobody is going back the carpark with a clean bike or lower limbs :) I have no bike wash facilities either unlike last year( bloody cutbacks)!

I have given my navi skills the workout to remember today with trying to minimise the boggyness and give us some tarmac to clear tyres. think i've cracked it.

As i typed 'more organic' on paragraph 2, light powdery snow floating about! Now as i type, i'm blinded by the sun with blue skies, must close the window blind so i can carry on typing. :eek:

The bottom line....

I'ts gonna be a fairly easy ride with mildly challenging but very short, sections, so it can stay as a grade 2. plenty of mud around/curry paste sections. plenty of hard-pack easy riding though. according to forecast any light showers expected 3pm-ish, we ought to be back at start point by then. only a serious deterioration in weather can make it worse or cause us to postpone. Also, i felt like i was the only person within the place today, sh*t weather has it's benefits.

just a note....

I'm going to run this(weather permitting) even if i'm lonesome, i'm bored stiff and tired of our bloody weather :facepalm: . Although, any riders that are travelling any good distance i will 100% understand if it's a grind to attend for a less than 20 mile ride. :cool:

Tips...

v-brakes won't stop you riding but, can clump up. cantis or ahem....disc cough...will be optimum. maguras may be ok.
Front crud advised. once we hit the hard trails, you get a mud face pack that you don't want, free but it tastes bitter and gritty :) rear crud also a good thing to help keep your seat clean. no bottles in cages, just...no! :LOL: Granny ring for some sections, martin will have to drop to middle ring. :D

I got round a 9-10 mile recce on a old marin with well worn paracer 2.1 with no real beef. I did have to stop and negotiate a muddy puddle at the side of a gate but, 1 metre out of 10 miles aint bad. ;)

So far thurs and friday look ok but i will keep my eye on things.

some dry/ mildly moist bits.....

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n48 ... d3a384.jpg

This is the worst bit, stick to the right, power on and you through! 4-5 metres long.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n48 ... 301bf2.jpg

so, where are ya?

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n48 ... a7498a.jpg

will be there;need to see how bad leeds is compared to port clarence ;)
will fill you in on that one on sat;may buy a mudguard even tho they are gay :mrgreen:

I'll be there whatever Marc (testing new to me frame), so you won't be on your lonesome , sorry but I'll have discs and no mudguards , it's steel though and has got some 1991 parts on it so it's retro :shock:
Matthew

I'll be on the modern too, pace needs fettling, kona is a daisy daddy bike now, saracen needs forks and u aint ridden Tue on one for yonks

Exceptional detail Mark, bravo!

I'll be on something old and nasty, possibly with mudguards now you've mentioned it, cheers!

After careful deliberation I've selected WildSlippers as they were already on the wheels I'm using.

I've got a 12V washer folks are welcome to use, but it doesn't hold much water so if you'd like a go please just bring as much water as you can! Preferably warm :cool:

Photo0082_zpsc0a7498a.jpg

This cracked me up! :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back