reccomend a bivvy bag for touring

J had a Rab Ascent bivi,light and small,but f'ing annoying with all it's flopping on yer face business.

Got a vaude 1 now,bit heavier with coupla poles,slightly less annoying,starting to think that you need to spend a few hundred to get anything really light and not annoying.

theredchili":95z9m17n said:
Try Alpkit, got one for theirs for about £25 a few years back, good quality and value.

think ill be ordering one of these! exactly what i was looking for and a great price too
thanks very much :D

dav101":qdxwhqtr said:
theredchili":qdxwhqtr said:
Try Alpkit, got one for theirs for about £25 a few years back, good quality and value.

think ill be ordering one of these! exactly what i was looking for and a great price too
thanks very much :D

No probs, I had one for a while and they work well. I now have a Mountain Equipment Gore-tex one which is a little more hard core, used it for Bivving at altitude in the Swiss Alps and in -20 in the Welsh Mountains the other Christmas when we had that cods spell!

i wont be using it for anything that hardcore, got a terranova quasar for when i go walking/hiking, as theres always a few of us so we just split the outer, inner and poles between us. its the space and weight saving im after, as i only use a 65 litre rucksack and a handlebar pack when i venture out

dav101":1wmmtk3o said:
i wont be using it for anything that hardcore, got a terranova quasar for when i go walking/hiking, as theres always a few of us so we just split the outer, inner and poles between us. its the space and weight saving im after, as i only use a 65 litre rucksack and a handlebar pack when i venture out

Quaser's are the best tents, I've lived in one for weeks on end !
The Hunka is the one to go for then, only problem with Alpkit is if between production runs your have to wait for them

Get a bivi bag with a single pole. I've a terra nova one from a few years back.
Poled ones feel much less like sleeping in a sack.
I also use an Ortleib dry bag as a rucksack liner which I put the rucksack into at night. Much cosier than having kit in the bivi. Also means not having to have wet kit inside.

theredchili":2m59ejxb said:
dav101":2m59ejxb said:

Quaser's are the best tents, I've lived in one for weeks on end !
The Hunka is the one to go for then, only problem with Alpkit is if between production runs your have to wait for them

they are an amazing bit of kit like, my old boss had the voyager which are ok but a tad small imo but real aerodynamic, good for one man and his dog though!

i've heard of the bivvies with one pole but wasnt sure who made them or where i could get one! i dont mind the "sleeping in a sack" thing, but thats the only type ive ever used so dont know the difference between poled and non poled. the hunka looks good though cause it seems it doesnt flop all over your face!

Picked up a Marmot lined bivi bag a few years ago, brilliant piece of kit and is used regularly as an extra layer to the sleeping bag, no room for a pack but always put everything into an Ortileb bag to keep it dry (or drier) super light and compact.

Back