1991 Claud Butler MTB Range

Claud butler, brilliant - I had a 91 Spectre, weighed a ton :roll:

Attachments

• claud butler new spec.jpg
    claud butler new spec.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,172
adrian":1vvvsuo7 said:
Claud butler, brilliant - I had a 91 Spectre, weighed a ton :roll:
good light weight tip is run it without toestraps:)

seriously they were quite heavy but most mountain bikes were in those days at those price points . The kit was pretty standard compared to others in that era so not overweight due to that. The frame maybe weighed a kg more than a top end frame of the era at most. tyres were ....mmm chunky... quite a lot could be trimmed off cheaply but they were designed to be robust everyday bikes rather than potential racers. very trendy pink paint with black fork, would be a hard sell today. I still like them :)

Very true - they were built to last. I had a huge crash on mine, crashed into the back of a van at about 20mph. Smashed my hand to bits - the bike had a couple of scratches :shock: Oh and a wonky bar end :D

The tyres were ground controls, well worth worth the weight!!!

Thanks for posting these catalogue scans up. Do you happen to know where the Claud Butler Magna fitted into the range? (probably at the lower end) I had one in 93/94 I believe, splatter green/black paint, would love to see the catalogue spec of it.
I too remember the Cape Wrath, lovely bike and an awesome sounding name! I never knew where the name came from until I visited Cape Wrath last year :LOL: (it's at the top of Scotland btw).

I've recently acquired this:
867D2266-A0D3-418F-AA40-750986616C5C-2132-0000041E75E4C7DB.jpg

I would describe its condition as "ridden a few times and then left in a damp shed for 22 years"
With a generous spray of finish line and a quick (indirect) blast with a jet wash,it looked like this:
1F0CB823-487F-41E2-83C8-845546B4453C-2132-0000041EA2DA14DF.jpg

I was going to butcher it for parts, but after a lube and a ride around the block,I'm thinking it might be my maiden group ride bike!( after I lose the Lycra saddle......who actually thought they were a good idea?)

Back