Clements 531 Falcon Bike for sale - how much is it worth??

miniroll32

Retro Newbie
Hiya guys - i've got an Clements for sale. My grandad passed it down to me and told me to get whatever I could for it. I've been told my other people that I should get £100 alone for the frame, but as a complete novice to the world of 'valuable bikes' I just have no idea how much it's worth! Could anyone help me, as well as the history of this bike?

Thanks guys! Tom

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3,922
  • IMG_2389.JPG
    IMG_2389.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 3,920
Hi there, I don't know much about Clements but if its got 531 frame with paint in great nick (which is still used in some of todays good steel bikes on top of all the other steel types) then it should definately go for more than £100. It's probably a hand built frame aswell, another value adder.

From what I can see its got a Brook saddle as well so thats another indicator of good quality. It would be good to know if the wheels are alloy or steel because alloy is generally more desirable as they have better braking in wet conditions, don't rust and are lighter.

Components wise, I can see its got fairly standard Weinmann brakes but I'm not of the drive components, like cranks, derailleur etc

I reckon it would go for £100 to £200 on Ebay if you got some nice photos, raised the saddle a bit, perhaps give it some new bar tape and gave it a clean.

Nice bike though! Other people around here would probably know more about the history of it, check out the classicrendezvous site to see if they've got any info there.

Sam

A picture from the other side (showing the components) would help. Close-ups of the dropouts and lugs would also help give an impression of the quality of the frame.

It's obviously been well looked after, but old bikes, unless they're from one of the more famous marques or have collectable components, don't tend to fetch all that much money. I don't know if Clements are collectable. If the frame tubing is plain guage it'll be worth less than if it's butted. Check the 531 label at the top of the seat tube. Better frames had 531 stays and butted main tubes. Cheaper frames often used 531 just in the main tubes, with lesser steel for the stays.

There is something of a resurgence of interest in older steel frames to use as fixed gear bikes, so that might be one way to find a buyer, if it wouldn't break your Grandad's heart to see it go that way.

one-eyed_jim":1xbsjgw7 said:
A picture from the other side (showing the components) would help. Close-ups of the dropouts and lugs would also help give an impression of the quality of the frame.

It's obviously been well looked after, but old bikes, unless they're from one of the more famous marques or have collectable components, don't tend to fetch all that much money. I don't know if Clements are collectable. If the frame tubing is plain guage it'll be worth less than if it's butted. Check the 531 label at the top of the seat tube. Better frames had 531 stays and butted main tubes. Cheaper frames often used 531 just in the main tubes, with lesser steel for the stays.

There is something of a resurgence of interest in older steel frames to use as fixed gear bikes, so that might be one way to find a buyer, if it wou
ldn't break your Grandad's heart to see it go that way.

++++1

+1

I got a 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy with fairly high end Suntour components, 531 double butted tubes, investment cast lugs for £230. That might be a good indicator of the price yours may go for------

here it is when originally got it without having done anything to it except pedals, rack and bag:

Attachments

• IMG_3638small.jpg
    IMG_3638small.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 3,862
one-eyed_jim":278msoa6 said:
smegger":278msoa6 said:
531 double butted tubes, investment cast lugs
Not to quibble ... okay, to quibble, I'm pretty sure those Nervex lugs are stamped rather than cast.

When I got it from Ebay the guy, who was quite knowledgable, said it had Haden investment cast lugs apparently so I went with his word. I think at the time it was an audax bike because it came with less but better, lighter equipment and sold for about £150 new in 1975! I still can't believe what I got it for!

smegger":36wh7gnp said:
When I got it from Ebay the guy, who was quite knowledgable, said it had Haden investment cast lugs apparently so I went with his word.
I'm pretty certain they're Nervex Super Legère, and pressed rather than cast:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France ... L_Lugs.htm

The form of the seatpost clamp ears should tell you one way or another, but cast lugs were rare on bikes of that age.

I still can't believe what I got it for!
To be honest, I think I wouldn't have gone over £150 with the equipment that's on it, but then I don't have any nostalgia for this particular bike. I had an early-nineties Super Galaxy that was a nice ride, but my later Raleigh Randonneur was a better bike all round.

Thats got me thinking, I'm gonna study lugs a bit more and see if I can match them up with any of the nervex ones, do you reckon they would of customized any of the lugs or not?

Where were the Haden cast lugs used most then?

Just wondering

SAm

Gosh, the head tube lugs on the bike are actually exactly the shape as the ones you shown me, I give in, your right!

The guy even said this in the Ebay description! :

"Haden investment-cast ‘curly’ lugs (no pressed steel Nervex rubbish here!)"

Just found another bike on classic rendevous by Rocklobster. rocklobster The green bike in the middle of the page apparently has haden lugs and look similar to mine? I dont know!
Sam
:?

To be honest, this isn't really my field. I was pretty sure the lugs were
Nervex, and the Classic Rendezvous site pictures would seem to confirm
that. It's not impossible that Haden made cast copies of other makers'
lugs, I suppose, or maybe that's a cast bottom bracket shell and crown.
It doesn't look much like Nervex shells I've seen. On the other hand,
your rear dropouts look like simple stamped sheet metal affairs, rather
than the forged ends more commonly fitted to better bikes at the time.
It would seem a mite incongruous to use cast lugs with stamped dropouts.

I've read that pressed lugs were generally preferred before the arrival of
high quality castings from the Far East in the eighties. In any case, either
type of lug can be used to make a fine frame. The difference is in the
workmanship. Cast lugs cost more to buy, but require less finishing work,
which saves labour costs.

Attachments

• 1958Nervexp5.jpg
    1958Nervexp5.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 3,820
Back