One of the very last Cino Cinelli customs

Citoyen du monde

rBotM Winner
This bike was custom-built in 1977 for an Italian customer after he was measured up by Cino himself in the shop in Milan. Apparently the customer had some special type of relationship with Cino and was given the special treatment of a bike with custom geometry and built up with a number of components that were favoured by Cino. One can in fact clearly recognise Cino's hand in the build as it features a number of traits that were espoused by Cino but rarely seen on "production" Cinelli frames. The serial number defines it as being the 156th frame built in 1977, in other words towards the end of the year. In 1978, Cino sold his shares to Colombo, so this is one of the last "Cino" bikes built and since he was only rarely personally involved with custom builds, this is definitely one of the very last frame where his personal input can be seen.

The first feature is the adoption of slightly smaller diameter tubulars. These are larger than the 650 tubulars that became popular in triathlon races in the 80's and beyond, and are known as "ridotto" in Italy. With a bit of research I have been able to dig up about a dozen bikes that use this rim size, with all being Cinelli's, Pogliaghi's and Masi's from Milan. This slightly smaller rim size is especially interesting on smaller bikes as it allows one to play with geometry a bit more. Indeed, on this particular bike, Cino also specified another of his ideas: longer cranks. Even if this is nothing more than a 52 cm frame, it has 175 mm cranks, which for 1977 were very long (most frames up to 60 cm regularly used 170's back then). Normally this would not be possible without major toe clip overlap and/or odd geometry. As you can see, on this bike the clearance issue is none existent and the geometry works very well. Cino also emphasized that 700c wheel size was a necessity on rougher roads that existed in the past but by the 70's were not longer required. The last of Cino's own personal bikes featured longer cranks and "ridotto" wheels. They also featured the same first generation Phil Wood hubs like seen on this bike. Cino was presented to Phil Wood and was struck by the hubs and became the Italian distributor for them (It is rare to find first generation Phil hubs in the US, so imagine the rarity in Italy!) The bike also features the newly introduced Universal brake model that was introduced in 1977. I must say that I am quite impressed by the quality of the calipers. It also has the true super record seat post and drillium chainring. When I picked up the bike, it was accompanied both by a set of Campagnolo superleggeri as well as Cinelli M71 pedals. The colour used is apparetnly Cino's favourite and teh frame was accompanied by a matching Silca pump in the same vcolour. Lastly, it features the then still very new 1R stem (obviously with the old logo and the old black disc with the name Cinelli in front).

I find all of the above special features that perfectly express Cino's convictions to be very noteworthy and worthy of attention.

Attachments

• Cinelli 1R badge.JPG
    Cinelli 1R badge.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Drivetrain.JPG
    Drivetrain.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Fiamme red label ridotto rims.JPG
    Fiamme red label ridotto rims.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Frame 156 of 1977.JPG
    Frame 156 of 1977.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Head tube.JPG
    Head tube.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,280
  • Left side.JPG
    Left side.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,281
  • Main photo.JPG
    Main photo.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 1,280
Here are some more photos. Another highlight is the radial-spoked front wheel that Cino also espoused.

Attachments

• Patent 77 derailleur.JPG
    Patent 77 derailleur.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Radial spoked Phil hub.JPG
    Radial spoked Phil hub.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,277
  • Seat lug.JPG
    Seat lug.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Seat tube.JPG
    Seat tube.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,280
  • Seat tube no pump.JPG
    Seat tube no pump.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Silk tubs.JPG
    Silk tubs.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Stem head lugs.JPG
    Stem head lugs.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,277
Cinelli Criterium bars? The tips of those Universal levers must surely be sticking out a bit...
Apart from anything else, a refreshingly subtle colour.

Midlife":r4fuw58r said:
Interesting to see allen key brakes on a 1977 frame. Very classy though :)

Shaun

By 1977 Allen keys were becoming reasonably common on top-end bikes. Cinelli was selling brake bridges and fork crowns for them.

Montello":9wabalu2 said:
How did you get your hands on that ?

It was actually for sale openly but the seller did not know what he had and did not give much confidence to potential buyers. Because of the smaller wheels many people questioned the frame size that was stated. On top of this to the uneducated eye, the Phil Wood hubs made it seem like replacement wheels, just like the Universal brakes.

The bike was also covered in a heavy coat of dust.

torqueless":1mt89yna said:
Cinelli Criterium bars? The tips of those Universal levers must surely be sticking out a bit...
Apart from anything else, a refreshingly subtle colour.

I have heard it said many times that somewhat smaller riders with correspondingly shorter arms often prefer the criterium bend because it gives them better access to the drops. For larger riders, their wider shoulders don't create as many access problems. So I suppose it makes sense to fit them on smaller frames, especially with what were for the period somewhat wider bars.

American Friend":2y6ia7b2 said:
I don't get the long cranks on a small frame (clearly an odd idea that never caught on), but that's a gorgeous frame. :)

The long cranks have actually caught on. Back in the 70's, you could barely find a bike with anything other than 165 or 170 cranks. The longer cranks give one more leverage. Cinelli was apparently recommending 180 mm cranks for larger frames.

Back