Merlin Titanium

Rio":ysdbwv5a said:
front hub is 100 mm spacing, rigid or suspension so no worries there!

Great! Easy swap then. It's only the rear that has expanded to accommodate the extra gears over time?

What sort of fork was on here originally? Steel? I imagine it also came with a different stem and headset. I think I will stick with this fork for now as I already have a full rigid (1991 Team Marin).

:shock: OMG, shame on the prev owner for hitting the Merlin with such a hideous UGLY STICK. :evil:

Thank goodness it's been rescued!

Is that skull and crossbones sticker part of the rest of the decals or one of those 'personal touches' that the previous owner put on there? It has the right colouring to be original but the sticker sticks out more than the other labels.

Just for you I will start a new thread on the rack and its journey from neglected mud bearer to beautiful $5 craiglist item.

Narhay":ggbx6qp9 said:
Is that skull and crossbones sticker part of the rest of the decals or one of those 'personal touches' that the previous owner put on there? It has the right colouring to be original but the sticker sticks out more than the other labels.

it's definitely an "aftermarket" non-original decal that should be removed! ;)

Skull sticker is an addition, I would take it off, another Merlin saved, great stuff!

yo-Nate-y":2kfvb60a said:
I'd say the first thing you need to do it strip is all down, save the rear wheel, seatpost, and front mech, and check/sell the rest :)

Nice pick up!

I second that.

RockiMtn":j2y75urh said:
Narhay":j2y75urh said:

it's definitely an "aftermarket" non-original decal that should be removed! ;)
hi
just noticed your another local guy. the scull and cross bones is local bike store Deep Cove Cycles
in north vancouver. maybe previous owner frequented the store. i'd leave it on. :cool:
couple nice bikes there. i saw the marin on craigs for a long time. thought about having a look
at it myself. the price was right. :)
roy
there is a bike show in richmond at toxik harald paint shop may 5th.
mark it on your calendar and bring both bikes out. the more the merrier.
or just come out and say hi.

The Marin caught my eye initially when it was posted but I didn't feel the colours were me...when it was reposted a second time I decided to jump on it and got it for quite a nice discount off the original listed price. Of course, in addition I've paid at least twice that in parts but worth it to me.

This Merlin ad said " 1990s Merlin Titian. $100 ". I scooted over there as fast as I could but when I got there there was a bit of a bidding war. I paid twice the original price but feel I came away in the clear.

I took the skull and crossbones sticker off...it was pretty tattered and flaking off in parts.

I also cleaned up both wheels today but I am only going to be using the rear wheel. Still looking for an xt front hub with a mavic 121 sup rim. The rear is 32 hole.

May 5th sounds good. I'll see what the calendar has in store but sounds like fun.

Back