My closest shave........one for car geeks really!....

1400cc then all hell broke loose ? I don't get it ?

What I also don't get is the little Honduh ecu's being open software ? I know someone with launch control and other things all done to a standard civic with his laptop and a free program ?

My sleeper kicks off at 4500rpm and goes to 7500rpm. 80 in 2nd without hitting limiter. Badge says 2.0 but it lies :)

Got 147mph from a £750 Mercedes. 138mph from a £200 Nissan and finally 150mph from a £1200 Mercedes whilst foolishly trying to take a photo. Nearly crashed and have rarely been 90mph ever since.

There is a pic of a mate on my facebook timeline somewhere with 185mph in his TVR.

8690q":1wo96rzo said:

What I also don't get is the little Honduh ecu's being open software ? I know someone with launch control and other things all done to a standard civic with his laptop and a free program ?

My sleeper kicks off at 4500rpm and goes to 7500rpm. 80 in 2nd without hitting limiter. Badge says 2.0 but it lies :)

My Jap 16v cars always seemed to pep up at around 4/5000 rpm - great fun! 8v turbos were good too.

8690q":33bptpmg said:

The camshaft gear was dialed in for top end power, also the bespoke camshaft from the USA was reground to make it power high up the rev range :cool:

MPG was shocking though :shock:

Had an E46 M3 a while back (pre married life :LOL: ). Great car, fantastic engine but crap brakes. Next car will probably be an E61 M5 if I can persuade the other half.

Saw 174mph on the speedo on my R1 on the stretch from The Creg down to Brandish on the TT course....braked waaaay to early :LOL:

I used to work for a large coventry/warwick/birmingham based automotive manufacturer. One of my (many) tasks was benchmarking competitor powertrains.
Needless to say, close shaves were a regular occurence. Obviously all of them occurred on a test track hofficer.
I'd never dream of going that fast, or that sideways, on the public highway.
I still work in automotive, but don't get to play silly buggers anymore.

My top speed ever is 193mph in a mates R34 GTR le-mans edition....think it was 850bhp at the time.....scary, smoked a mates R1.

My fastest car was a 300bhp S60 T5 ex-traffic police.....160mph on a quiet A1 :oops: for £2,750.

saltyman":36acoggx said:
My fastest car was a 300bhp S60 T5 ex-traffic police.....160mph on a quiet A1 :oops: for £2,750.

A friend of mine who has been into all sorts of cars over the years, has been a competitive karter, and has modified all sorts of cars says the 850 T5R (auto as well!) was his favourite ever car! I went in it once, it had some weird suspension geometry so it didn't understeer but the inside front tyre would spin up to ridiculous speeds whilst cornering. It was an absolute beast! Modified to 300bhp - or so he was told by the seller, but it felt a lot faster. We did a 0-60mph time with 4 big blokes in the car and we measured 6.5sec. He later told me that when we did that he hadn't noticed the gearbox was in snow mode.... :shock: :D

Rob Atkin":4xmwwxko said:
saltyman":4xmwwxko said:

A friend of mine who has been into all sorts of cars over the years, has been a competitive karter, and has modified all sorts of cars says the 850 T5R (auto as well!) was his favourite ever car! I went in it once, it had some weird suspension geometry so it didn't understeer but the inside front tyre would spin up to ridiculous speeds whilst cornering. It was an absolute beast! Modified to 300bhp - or so he was told by the seller, but it felt a lot faster. We did a 0-60mph time with 4 big blokes in the car and we measured 6.5sec. He later told me that when we did that he hadn't noticed the gearbox was in snow mode.... :shock: :D
Snow / Winter mode would have seen it start off in 3rd - I suspect it wasn't - probably more in economy mode, rather than sport.

The transmissions in the 850 and classic 70 series had a winter button, as well as a sports / economy switch.

Latest posts

Back