Mystery Raleigh Roadbike

treeturner

Retro Newbie
I hope someone can recognise the model type of this Raleigh bike as I want to sell it.
I bought it as a runabout in 1975, and as the paintwork was tatty, I resprayed it with some car paint I had.
As most of the cycling I have done recently, is quite often on rough tracks, I use a mountain bike. The Raleigh has not been used for about 14 years.
The brakes are GB 88 centre pull, with Superhood levers.
The frame is 22 1/2 inches from the crank centre to the top of the seat tube
It is a 10 speed with a Simplex rear derailleur, and has a plastic Mertens saddle.
Most of the Raleighs from the late '60's have the pump brackets on the seat tube. These are brazed onto the cross tube, as shown in the photo.
Any ideas please?

Attachments

• raleigh bike.jpg
    raleigh bike.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 906
Wrapround stays are a Carlton feature....... Have a look under the bottom bracket, behind the seat post and the rear dropouts for a frame number :)

Shaun

Old Raleigh Royals had wraparound stays also, least ways the damaged Royal I pulled out a ditch a few years back did and it seemed to be a 60's bike.

Thanks for the interesting replies.I have searched in all the normal places for a serial number, but all I can find is a letter X under the bottom bracket, with no number. I have scraped the paint off there.
At the weekend I will remove the back wheel and check the dropouts again.
I know it isn't worth much , but I don't want to waste a good frame which someone could rebuild.
Paul

Looks like a Carlton Corsair variant from the late 70's..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLTON-CORSA ... 7675.l2557

By then Raleigh would have plonked the frame in one of their line up as well most likely....

They often stamped the number on the seat tube just under the seat bolt !

Shaun

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well spotted Jonny !
Despite a fading memory of minor events 35 years ago , I now recall
that replacement forks came with the bike, as the originals were bent.
The frame is definitely a Raleigh though. Wish I could find the head badge.
As I bought the bike in 1975, and it was in a very "second hand " condition at that time, (as was the bungalow I eventually bought off the same bloke.)
I would say the bike has to be late 60's .
According to a website with info on GB brakes, the 88 centre pull were only fitted late 60's /early 70's, but I can only rely on the accuracy of other peoples research
Paul

Raleigh were a bit of a stickler for efficiency and usually stamped their frames.........any frame numbers? they had a habit of stamping them on the seat tube under the seat cluster.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back