Square taper, grease or not!!!!

We_are_Stevo":wms02957 said:
Charlieboy28":wms02957 said:
Interference fit
It is a fit always ensuring some interference between the hole and shaft in the coupling. The upper limit size of the hole is smaller or at least equal to the lower limit size of the shaft. RIGHT

WRONG! :facepalm:

This refers to parallel surfaces where the hole is actually smaller than what you are fitting into it, NOT a taper fit...

...a good example of an 'interference fit' is a steel bearing in an alloy crankcase where you heat the crankcase, freeze the bearing and fit the one t'other; or a steel liner in an alloy cyclinder, NOT something that requires A BOLT to hold it in place...

...Jeez!
clearance or interference fit of a taper is purely dependant on their relative position to each other along the axis of the BB.

SKF say their tapered bearings are an interference fit. . . measured by lock ring tightening angle, the parrallels are pretty obvious here and I think they'd know a lot more than any of us

http://www.skf.com/group/products/beari ... index.html

We_are_Stevo":3am73ro0 said:
Charlieboy28":3am73ro0 said:
Interference fit
It is a fit always ensuring some interference between the hole and shaft in the coupling. The upper limit size of the hole is smaller or at least equal to the lower limit size of the shaft. RIGHT

WRONG! :facepalm:

This refers to parallel surfaces where the hole is actually smaller than what you are fitting into it, NOT a taper fit...

...a good example of an 'interference fit' is a steel bearing in an alloy crankcase where you heat the crankcase, freeze the bearing and fit the one t'other; or a steel liner in an alloy cyclinder, NOT something that requires A BOLT to hold it in place...

...Jeez!

Don't know if it helps really what it's called....but something above doesn't sound right to me:

- why is an interference fit limited to parallel surfaces? Is it common knowledge or a defined rule that it excludes tapers? Not being cocky, just curious.
- when I visualise the whole thing, the hole in the crank is smaller than the shaft / axle / spindle; the hole
and shaft / axle / spindle both have a 2 degree taper that's all. If it wasn't smaller, then the crank would run all the way past the taper and be closer to the BB cups.....
- in your example using heat / freezing to give some sort of assistance prior to assembly exploiting the different heat expansion rates of different metals, surely that is what the bolt is more-or-less doing instead by force rather than heat? I guess you could do the same, heat the crank up, put the axle in the freezer, then welly it all together with a big lump hammer, then put the bolt on. When everything settles at room temperature the crank hole would be slightly stretched and the bolt will simply stop it falling off and hence then have a torque value....or?

Anyhow...just grease them ;)

retrobate":2e0bwjma said:
More fuel for the fire.

Just been digging in the cave and have found the fitting instructions for Middleburn RS2 and Syncros Revolutions, both recomend a dry interface.

What year are these cranks roughly?

I checked the Middleburn tech for RS7 and RS8, and it gave no instructions on how to install the square taper cranks...just ISIS :roll:

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/images/pdf/ ... sembly.pdf

I think I bought the Syncros cranks new in 1997 but they had been available for several years.
From memory the RS3 came out in 1994 so the RS2 was prior to that.

No Grease

Campagnolo
Middleburn
Park
Royce
Shimano?
Syncros

Grease

Raceface
Shimano?
Topline

15 pages of repetitive 'He said, She said' b*ll*cks, with neither side (well, more the 'No' side to be fair...) prepared to respect the others' point of view, and some gloriously inaccurate statements in support! :facepalm:

Its a tapered interference fit and I don't care what you say. So naaaa. And the greasers win as I was non grease and have converted and converts count double.

dyna-ti":3h5ix1px said:
mkaavin":3h5ix1px said:
gdb2b":3h5ix1px said:
And there, at long last, it finally is. Life is too short. Needed back about 12 pages ago. Gentlemen, what say we retire this one?

I agree. There is no point. Deep down we all know that no grease is the answer.

Sorry greasers....you lost this one! ;-)

In your deams buddy. I havent heard anything from your camp that shows they have the slightest idea of what theyre talking about, all just 1/2 baked theories. All you lot have are some maybees and quoting thing like machine tapers that will have anybody from the engineering industry laughing their ass off at such a pointless comparison.
So far were had reports from engineers[real ones not wannabees) .BMW was mentioned as was raf [rocketys etc] and British aerospace[my dad] add to this Sheldon brown himself

Quotes of it drives it in further :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :LOL: :LOL:
Torque the crank bolt to the makers recommendation and use threadlock. :roll:

And dont forget that grease ;)

This is just way too easy............ :-D

ededwards":o60ubkzx said:
Excellent, 13 pages with no agreement but equally no invoking of Godwin's Law.

I guess I'll continue to do as I've always done, much the same as everyone else.

I wonder if they Nazi's greased their machinery during the second world war? :-D

mkaavin":34ui5gk6 said:
ededwards":34ui5gk6 said:

I guess I'll continue to do as I've always done, much the same as everyone else.

I wonder if they Nazi's greased their machinery during the second world war? :-D

You really, REALLY need to ask yourself where they got the fat from, then go and lock yourself in a darkened room and cut off all your own fingers out of contrition! :facepalm:

We_are_Stevo":3f8j4zf4 said:
mkaavin":3f8j4zf4 said:
ededwards":3f8j4zf4 said:

You really, REALLY need to ask yourself where they got the fat from, then go and lock yourself in a darkened room and cut off all your own fingers out of contrition! :facepalm:

Seriously! Now you are way out of line!! Don't degrade yourself by trying to make this into something it's not!

Go and check out Godwin's law and you will see what the joke is all about. Moron!!

Back