Official "My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs? "

Re: Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

I agree with the geometry comments. So change the forks to something a bit lighter and with a little less axle crown height and the bike will 'feel' much lighter. Tires can also make a lot of difference in the 'feel' as well as the actual weight.
Stem seems too long, but depends on your arms I guess. And [trollmode] you can save some weight on the length of your cables ;)
Wouldn't bother with the Magura's, you would be mad to change them for V's if the bike is going to be an actual offroad rider.

Thanks guys.
Made everything at clearer with a definitive objective in mind now.
1. Change forks for lightweight RS or pace
2. Change stem for something lighter and shorter eg Pace Rc45 or a syncros cattle head
3. Leave the maguras as this is an off road bike rather than tow path/off road such as the dynatech (hence requirement for suspension)
4. May change tyres but will work on stem and forks first

And I'll shorten those cables ;)

Seems ill have a TF tuned Marzocchi z3 on sale now in excellent condition
And a CNC'd Xlite L168 xc stem

I will see if I can source am rc36 or similar from around 1999 2000 or a RS Sid from same era.
Anyone have anything?
Or aforementioned stem choices??

And I'll update this post when done

Thanks guys!

As a comparison my 853 Explosif weighed in at 24lbs as pictured in my link below...

...it's wearing Maxxis 310s which, as the name suggests, weigh 310g a piece and you could fit a much lighter Flite. A Ti stem wouldn't go amiss either, and there are much lighter Mavics to be had.

We_are_Stevo":1nrtepfg said:
As a comparison my 853 Explosif weighed in at 24lbs as pictured in my link below...

...it's wearing Maxxis 310s which, as the name suggests, weigh 310g a piece and you could fit a much lighter Flite. A Ti stem wouldn't go amiss either, and there are much lighter Mavics to be had.

How are Maxis 310's like?
Hard wearing? And to ride?

Yep, a Ti stem would be perfect.

Could do with some stem suggestions...

I prefer the saddle I have to other Flite's though, it's very light, and very comfortable - ;) I'd be more than willing to put on a few grammes as long as my batty is safe!

regarding the tyres I have, according to this;

http://www.panaracer.com/mtb.php

The Smoke and dart's are actually as light if not lighter than the Fire XC's and many of their others - I think I'll start with Fork and Stem and then go form there

Maxis 310s are waaaay compromised on the ride front.

They are a very condition specific tyre, puncture and tear-prone and they wear out fast.

You have the new Smoke/Dart combo... Kevlar version ?
585g is not so heavy, but you could run other modern tyres like the 2.25 Scwalbe Ron's/Nics Rons are lighter at ~450/475 for the folding/Performance style, Nics are better in the soft mud but heavier at 550/580g (I cannot remember, but they are the tougher SnakeSkin version) The biggest part is they do not feel like heavy tyres as the respond and roll so well in comparison.

Maxxis 310's, shite tyres other than for weighing in, unless you're running down a flat dirt track with no corners and no brambles/hawthorn hedges anywhere. Even worse than Continental Twisters (which are similar weenie tyres)

Anyway, to take that out of the equation just use the tyres on your other bike.
My Kona's crept up in weight, but I don't really notice it.

FluffyChicken":pf88vzeg said:
585g is not so heavy, but you could run other modern tyres like the 2.25 Scwalbe Ron's/Nics Rons are lighter at ~450/475 for the folding/Performance style, Nics are better in the soft mud but heavier at 550/580g (I cannot remember, but they are the tougher SnakeSkin version) The biggest part is they do not feel like heavy tyres as the respond and roll so well in comparison.

Maxxis 310's, shite tyres other than for weighing in, unless you're running down a flat dirt track with no corners and no brambles/hawthorn hedges anywhere. Even worse than Continental Twisters (which are similar weenie tyres)

Good point, I think mine are Smoke and dart 2's and I think they're the old versions so probably heavier.
I thought the 310's may be crap, as light weight tends to mean punctures, and I'd rather sacrifice weight for ride and durability and I am loath to change the Smoke/darts as I love their ride.

Anyway, to be honest it's not just about weight, of course I'd like to shed some weight as the bike is a bit porky, and I want a more convincing balanced front end and hence ride.
I suppose with some lighter forks and a lighter shorter stem i'll have that and will lose weight, about a 24 lbs balanced Hardtail is what i'm after, any farther weight loss is a bonus.

And if I don't get that I'll sell the lot, stick to my MT4 and my new project ( a Reynolds Optima framed M-Trax) as I don't like fat tubes and porky bikes, and these tubes are fatter than I at first thought.

As others said before me:

1. fork
2. wheels
3. Maguras

Marzocchis are superior in terms of comfort, but it depends what you want from the bike. If you go for sheer light weight, try a first generation SID or one of the Manitous from the late nineties. For comfiness AND light weight, Marzocchi has top end models with air that are beautifully sculpted, like the Z2 80 X-Fly. Fox also has lightish and pretty comfy forks for V-brakes. I don't know much about Pace or White forks, but if I was you, I'd try to learn about them.

In the wheels department, any combo of better or newer hubs on top class rims should work. Why not Crossmax's?

I am sure you like the Maguras, but I think any top-end V-brake with proper cables and housings will work just as good.

My picks for this bike would be SID's with silver Hope's on Mavic 217/X517/XC717 plus Avid Arch Supremes and Ultimate levers.

Cheers!
Mx

FluffyChicken":2zkixvhe said:

Nobby Nic TLR Evo 2.25 is 545g. That's a lot of performance for a light weight

Latest posts

Back