GT carbon fibre frame..QUESTIONS?

pbrstreetgang

Retro Newbie
Hi all, aquired a GT carbon frame over weekend but have yet to fully id it? There seems to be some slight damage to near the seatpost!

Is this worth anything as it is right now?? the rear shock is goosed, BB seems fine and there is no headset

some pics.

2013-03-08-353_zpse6580c8f.jpg

2013-03-10-365_zps7e1069f8.jpg

2013-03-10-366_zps10bceecc.jpg

It's a GT STS, not sure of the year.

It may be worth something to someone who needs a new swing arm, but getting the shock serviced will be tricky. I'd say its probably best cleaned up and used as wall art!

hi pbrstreetgang

ur bikes an sts1 and shame about the damage and the blown rear shock

unfortunaly someone has welded a rear disc brake tab on so thats a bit odd ?

the sts rear end will not mount onto a lts 2000 as its all the wrong size (have got lts and sts spares all over the place)

can i ask how much u paid for the frame ? and if ur not goin to use it would u be willing to sell for spares ?

any questions feel free to pm me and ill be willing to chat over the phone (can also sort u out with the lts spare rear end if needed)

tony

...its thermoplastic composite, not carbon fibre...almost but not quite the same thing. Not sure how that small difference would apply to repairs, could be zero or could be a whole lot.

Hi,

A quick update as I am a composites engineer. These frames are carbon fibre in a thermoplastic matrix and will be EXTREMELY difficult to repair.

I doubt the guys in the links would be able to do much with it if it is failing as I assume they work with thermosets which are a different kettle of fish.

I used to work for GT dealer when these first came out and the early ones are notorious for failing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there you go.

John

frames now here and wearing a new shock (had 3or4 layin about )

frame looks ok and the carbon/thermoweave looks like it never had resin ? on it and is dry ?

fixable pass will i try hell why not :facepalm:

Back