1984 Raleigh Maverick

reminds me of these bikes:

red_iggy01.jpg

Mav

Cheers for the kind words gents.

The bike is a 22", just right for me (6ft) but the bike is too heavy for 'stunt work' so you might as well forget top tube clearance.

One would assume like all things that manufacturers in the UK attempted to cash in on the new craze coming from the states by making bikes that 'looked' similar. I suppose too that the template bike of the period was the 82/83 StumpJumper (drool) which as we all know derived from the Reepack (reinforced cruisers) bikes of the late 70's.

This bike rides beautifully, despite it's weight it really puts a smile on your face. I love the fact that you can't take your hands off the handlebars for too long as the fork angle is such that it will fly to the left or right as gravity kicks in.

The bars are not the one that were supplied on the original bike, Mavericks came with a BMX style stem, much more adjustable & I actually have one but those cow horn bars are a bitch to find.

Other tough finds were the 'ribbed' Lampre seat post & All rubber grips.

Here is one of the pics I used for reference.

PICT0752.JPG

Are you sure it's 84? You can date it from the serial number but I think it's more likely to be late 85, even early 86.

Great work though - look awesome!

So your the guy who got that frame, I to was sorely tempted by that peice of classic yesteryear.

I would guess it to be 85 or 86 as a friend of mine got one for christmas about that time. First MTB I'd ever seen and boy was I jealous, a bike that could easily climb steep hills on and off road, I had a 3 speed Raleigh Roadster which was totally outclassed !!!!!!!!!

I did own a Ridgeback from that era with equally slack angles, front end as a result was too light going uphill but was very planted going down.

Enjoy !

Mav

Obviously I'm not sure of the date, it's just the one I have rolling round in my head.

I only bought the frame as I had a lot of the bits already, a frame like this just wouldn't look right with the standard XT, Syncros, Ringle, Flite, Cooks adournment.

The Ridgebacks of this period were lovely bikes but not many came to the UK.

Post your frame number, there are places on the web to decode it to a factory and year (and month) of production.

I love this bike.

I had a 5 speed version as my 1st MTB around the mid eighties. My folks bought it second hand off some fella. 19" and as a scrawny 11 year old it was always said "you will grow into it!". But that was b@llocks! At 33 I struggle to fit a 17"!!!!!!!

It had brown to grey colour. What seemed like 19" chainstays (such an agile climber!). The 5 speed had caliper brakes (with little anchors to stop them flexing). the chainring was 46 or 48 tooth and I am surprised that I do not have monster quads from grinding this tank up hills with cadence of 20rpm!

The last time I saw the frame it was in the garage loft of shared house that I lived in.

I will try and track down where it is now.

Back