If you had?

Iwasgoodonce":2f6po47x said:
I have the musical ability and quality of a blocked nostril. I would choose the violin. It seems to have so many moods. It can be happy or very sad. It seems as happy making glorious classical sounds that can make even the most stony hearted weep or, at a fireside party.
If it had to be modern, I find myself drawn to the bass guitar.

Funnily enough, these two are what I play... though to be honest I haven't played the violin in quite a while, it's just too noisy in a small house. It takes an awful lot of work to get to a listenable standard on the violin, and a fair bit to maintain it - thankfully I learned as I was growing up and had my parents to keep me from quitting when it seemed too much, there's no way on earth I'd ever be able to learn it to the same level at this age.

I love playing the bass though - not that I'm good, mind, (I only started two years ago after years of playing guitar, also self-taught) - but good enough to be able to play what I want. I only play for myself, almost always in the evenings through earphones to avoid disturbing the rest of the household but it's a great way to unwind. I have a very nice Rickenbacker guitar which has barely seen the light of day since I got the bass - I think four strings is my ideal!

I fully agree that although some will naturally have more potential than others, the vast majority of people who really wish they could play an instrument could do so if they were willing to put the effort in for enough time.

highlandsflyer":3sx2nihp said:
If you stop playing any instrument for a while.......
All of a sudden you find that you're no longer a "first call" bassist (or guitarist, drummer, whatever) because a few months out of the public eye is a long time in this occupation (even if only a part time one).
So what do you do then, especially if you're knocking on a bit and no work that enthuses you presents itself? Teach a bit maybe, which I've done, but as with lots of things in these times of austerity music lessons are hardly an essential for most people.

So, after over 45 years of being a bass player, I find myself wishing that I'd devoted as much time to, say, keyboards as I have to acoustic and electric bass. In other words, something that can be enjoyed as a solo instrument, even if just at home when you get to the stage of being an old has-been.

seems to be a few of us bassists here :LOL: ant it does show up any loosing of suppleness if you don't play for a few weeks! i find about 3 or 4 gigs into a tour, i get cramp in my right hand, only lasts 1 or 2 nights, and it is always about 30-45 minutes into the set! but i can play through it....just need spare picks in the amp!
i've just started learning '80s metal lead, shreading, pinch harmonics and all that.....don't know why, just a new challenge i suppose......oh, and guitar is for me only, at home....with a couple of beers!!

zetecmk2":2oskn3s6 said:
it does show up any loosing of suppleness if you don't play for a few weeks! i find about 3 or 4 gigs into a tour, i get cramp in my right hand, only lasts 1 or 2 nights, and it is always about 30-45 minutes into the set! but i can play through it....just need spare picks in the amp!

And after that you just get what I always think of as "race fit", it all seems effortless. The same as I used to feel BITD when I was racing a lot and if I then went out for a social ride with my mates. It felt as if I could just cruise all day.
I wish..... :roll:

Back