Official "My Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs? "

Re: Overweight Bike - how do I shed some lbs?

Thanks for the input my friends
I think forks need changing, as the bike feels front heavy.
Maybe the stem is a tad too long too, but I feel the forks weigh a ton.

The magura s too see probably weighty though they work nice!

Tyres I think smoke and darts are about 600 g each correct me if I'm wrong.

To be honest it's a nice balanced ride I'd prefer with some weight loss, of course 25 lbs isn't that heavy but it is compared to other similar bikes of same calibre

I'd prefer period correct stuff (apart from small things such as pedals) though brakes are out of period.
Age is 1999 - 2000 model so anything 2000 or before.

It's decision on what fork to choose and what brakes and perhaps what stem would work here.
Any ideas?
Either way I might sell the maguras if they make much difference to weight

I'd try a different fork first, see how it rides then. As mentioned, look at SID's or Pace forks of that era, both those will be quite a bit lighter than the MZ's.

The fork clearly adds a lot of weight, but as others have said a lot of the difference in ride will be because the two bikes are different shapes. Slightly odd that you prefer the one that appears to be a size too big, though ;) (assuming that they're both set up as you're riding them).

Leave the Maguras; they're worth their weight in gold!
Panaracer Fires will lose you 1/2 to 3/4lb. THey also roll better than the Smoke/Dart combo.
Bomber Z2 Superflys will lose about a lb.
That saddle is probably heavier than you think, so another 1/4 lb there.
Remember, manufacturers bike weights are usually quoted without nearly a lb of pedals...

MikeD":39zwm5g1 said:
The fork clearly adds a lot of weight, but as others have said a lot of the difference in ride will be because the two bikes are different shapes. Slightly odd that you prefer the one that appears to be a size too big, though ;) (assuming that they're both set up as you're riding them).

My nephew was riding the RSp when the pic was taken. He's taller than me.

:) I'm a midget

suburbanreuben":27ohlhcb said:
Leave the Maguras; they're worth their weight in gold!
Panaracer Fires will lose you 1/2 to 3/4lb. THey also roll better than the Smoke/Dart combo.
Bomber Z2 Superflys will lose about a lb.
That saddle is probably heavier than you think, so another 1/4 lb there.
Remember, manufacturers bike weights are usually quoted without nearly a lb of pedals...

Mmm ill have a look at weights of tyres as you mentioned
To be how at re saddle weighs next to nothing as does the seatpost.

I reckon forks would shift the spectrum a bit towards better balance and lighter weight. And of course tyres as without them and the inner tubes the wheels are very light

Maguras... Do their pros outweigh their weight? (Does that make sense?)

Maguras? just about the best rim brake around! DEfinitely worth keeping.

Remember the Z3s are pretty basic forks even by 20th century standards. aside from carrying extra weight you may well be losing energy from a poorly damped action. You will definitely notice the difference between them and the rigid forks on the other bike.

Agree on the mags comment^^^ if you can overlook the weight difference on those the I would keep them, they are the nuts on rims.

Start a bit at a time and with the forks first

The worst thing about the spec is the huge stem. That has killed the handling and would explain most of the feeling that you have experienced. I would suggest one at least 30mm shorter.

Weight-wise, the Z3 weighs 4.4lbs and isn't really suited to a ti frame unless you're a very heavy rider (not just your weight, also your riding style!) Options include saving half a pound just by fitting an alloy steerer, or getting a Z2 Light, saving a pound by fitting a Marzocchi X-Fly if you can find one (it's an excellent fork, just as stiff as the Z3, but air-sprung), or save 1.7 pounds with an SID SL, provided it's not too spindly for you.

You should also be able to save at least half a pound on the tyres, without going to narrow ones. If you went for narrow tyres, that would be a sign of weight-weenyism going over the top - i.e., making the bike worse in order to make it lighter.

Back