Silly steerer question..

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I think I know the answer to this... but always worth checking.

I bought a set of nice Judy SL's that have around 175mm of steerer tube. The top 30mm is threaded. The frame I am looking to run them on has a very short head tube. The steerer is 1 inch.

Would I be able to cut the steerer below the point of the last threads and run the steerer with an aheadset system?

My gut says yes, but there's a nagging doubt floating around my head that aheadset steerers have to be thicker/stronger somehow...

AFAIK it should be fine, but if a normal star fangled nut is not a good fit in the bore I'd be more concerned.

In fact you should be able to find the sizes somewhere and get it measured, even if just by tape.

Will be fine ,the Sfn should fit , if not you could always use a RINGO star

I have one of those Ringo star things and never been able to work out how it was fitted!

I also have a long stem bolt with a internal grip that locks to the bottom of the fork if you are stuck Rich.

I've used a Headlok with a Ti bolt in the past; yours will be fine, just as it would if you were extending a short steerer... ;)

SL's with a threaded steerer? I guess there is a heavier replacement Steel steerer on there.
As long as it's not internally butted, which it may be if the SL had a specific 'steel threaded steerer' (I don't think they did) etc...
Get on with it :D

SL had an alloy steerer, quite thick. i have one in the cupboard, its threadless, happy to measure the wall thickness if it gives you peace of mind.

Back